Engineer I, Mechanical
- San Diego, CA
- Start date
- Mar 17, 2023
- Engineering, Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We are seeking an Engineer I, Mechanical to join our team. The Mechanical Engineer will work cross-functionally across all engineering and biochemistry teams. The candidate will support our R&D efforts by assisting with internal testing instrumentation and calibration. They will design, assemble, evaluate prototypes and test rigs, as well as troubleshoot issues that arise. They will also perform hardware retrofits and upgrades, maintenance/repairs, and document all their actions. They will maintain and calibrate 3D printers, power tools, and machinery used in the machine shop. Experience with CAD is a must (SolidWorks preferred). Experience with geometric tolerancing, tolerance analysis, and prototyping is desired, but not required.
The candidate is technically minded, detail oriented, skilled with their hands, and independently motivated. The candidate will function within the engineering team while working closely with the instrument users. They will be expected to learn new techniques and methods readily and take responsibility for successful performance of our instrumentation. The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment is critical.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the design and development of mechanical components / systems to support product development.
- Design and develop tools, fixtures, and processes to assist in the product and systems development.
- Collaborate with engineers on testing and validation to ensure the instrument meets the defined performance requirements.
- Test components and systems under defined testing protocols, organizing data, and reporting results.
- Debug related issues and report on these issues to the team.
- Translate knowledge and hands-on experience into technical instructions and procedures.
- Assemble systems and sub-systems following assembly instruction.
- Ability to modify components and systems using a drill press, Dremel, and other basic tools.
- Lead the servicing, calibration and upgrading of a variety of bio-instrumentation platforms.
- Use online ticketing tools to track and resolve issues, report instrument performance metrics, configuration, and status.
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or related field.
- A minimum of 1-2 years of device design experience on mechanical parts and systems.
- Proficient in 3D modeling software is required, SolidWorks preferred.
- Experience with PDM (SolidWorks) and revision control systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Experience with Microsoft Office Excel, Power Point, & Word is required.
- Experience with microfluidic and motion systems is a plus.
- Familiarity with, Confluence, JIRA, JMP and Bitbucket a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as integrated into a team.
Salary Range:$66,300.00 - $89,700.00
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview experience.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at PacBio. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. PacBio does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PacBio employees or any other company location. PacBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 650-521-8000, or http://firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Visit our following pages for more information on:
1305 O'Brien Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert