Director, IT Portfolio and Project Management
- Emergent BioSolutions
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Start date
- Mar 17, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Project Management
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
Reporting to the Sr Director, OCIO, the Director, IT Portfolio and Project Management (PPM) is responsible for portfolio management of all IT projects and managing project managers in accordance with enterprise PMO methodologies in support of the highest quality of portfolio delivery. The scope of this role includes the business portfolio in alignment with Emergent strategic goals and internal IT portfolio to enable a secure, reliable and scalable environment.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Portfolio Management and Execution
• Accountable for quality execution across business facing and internal IT portfolios as measured by schedule and budget adherence, work quality, and benefits / outcomes attainment.
• Owns the strategic, cross program view of the entire portfolio including financial plan and implications, program inter-dependencies, scope, schedule, risk, communications, procurement, and resources
• Accountable for developing and delivering portfolio analytics and ensures portfolio mix is understood and aligns to appropriate higher-level strategic objectives.
• Leads appropriate project portfolio review sessions and forums.
• On occasion, this role will be responsible for playing the role of project manager and will lead project planning and execution personally.
• Responsible for delivering outcomes tied to business value and focused on optimization of end-to-end process and user experience
• Establishes and maintains appropriate relationships with stakeholders and acts as focal point for program-related activities, ensuring effective communication with all project stakeholders, steering committees, and core team members.
• Ensures appropriate organizational change management is integrated into all program and project initiatives providing for a positive end user experience and adoption
• Manages and mentors internal and external project management and team resources
• Ensure appropriate budget development and forecasting for all assigned program and projects
• Accountable for leading all aspects of project management staffing including sourcing, hiring, conflict resolution, on-boarding, and off-boarding of contract-based project management resources.
• Enhance PMO practices and PM Methodology in alignment with needs of organization
• Drive evolution of PMO practices through improvements to Portfolio & Project management system (Smartsheet)
• Ensure adherence to IT PMO practices by PMs aligned to functional domains
• Drive continuous improvement through lessons learned, innovative and agile thinking
Teamwork and Leadership
• Partnership with members of IT Leadership team required to drive effective portfolio and project management for each of their respective areas.
• Ensures collaboration with all functional business units within Emergent and across IT to achieve strategic, tactical and program/project goals.
• Ability to navigate a matrix organization effectively
• Role model for open communications and conflict resolution
• Builds effective teams and utilizes each project team member to his/her fullest potential
• Remains on the forefront of emerging Project/Program/Vendor Management best practices
• Provides clear direction and mentoring to internal and external staff
• Ensures stake holders are effectively informed of program/project information and involved in relevant decision making
• Facilitates team meetings effectively
• Develops and executes program/project communications plans, as appropriate
• Delivers actionable, well-organized presentations appropriate for varying audiences from C-suite to SMEs
• Communicate openly and honestly with all stake holders
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• 15+ years IT experience
• 10-12+ years IT project management experience of increasing project size and complexity
• Excellent skills in IT Portfolio and Project Management
• 5+ years’ experience supervising project managers
• Bachelor's degree: specialization in IT or Management Information Systems (MIS) preferred.
• PMP Certified
• Strong influencing and analytical skills required
• Sound business and technical acumen
• Ability and desire to work in a fast pace, dynamic environment
• Must have experience managing multiple $1M + projects, spanning multiple locations
• Experience managing IT Projects in a GxP or another regulated environment
• Experience in an environment subject to SOX controls
• Life Sciences industry experience (highly desirable)
• Proven ability to manage IT Vendors and contract staff
• Experience effectively managing RFP process for IT solutions
• Experience implementing COTS & SaaS solutions
• Experience with multiple project methodologies, including waterfall and Agile.
• Strong Time Management, Organization and Execution Skills
• Strong written, verbal and presentation communication skills
• Strong collaboration skills required to effectively work across a diverse group including executives, managers, and Subject Matter Experts (SME)
• Effective interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to understand/dissect organizational culture and tailor communication and processes to successfully navigate the same.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert