Pipeline Counsel/Sr Counsel, Patent Prosecution
- Lake County, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 16, 2023
- Regulatory, Legal/Compliance
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
This is not an active opening - talent that applies will be considered for future roles with the responsibilities listed.
Working both individually and in cross-functional teams, the in-house Counsel or Senior Counsel will develop and implement intellectual property strategy for AbbVie’s products and product candidates, including compositions, manufacturing methods, formulations, and methods of use.
This role will operate in a hybrid capacity (3 days in, 2 days remote) from one of the following AbbVie sites: Lake County, IL; Worcester, MA; Irvine, CA; South San Francisco, CA
- Partner with scientific teams to identify patentable subject matter
- Draft, file and prosecute strategically useful patent applications worldwide both directly and through management of outside counsel
- Conduct prior art searches, analyzing third-party patent positions
- Conduct due diligence in support of licensing activities
- Provide legal advice and counsel to cross-functional R&D and business teams on a variety of IP related matters
- Challenge and defend patents in IPR, opposition, interference and other proceedings
- JD degree from an accredited law school, state bar admission (specific state admission not required), and registration to practice before the USPTO
- Minimum 2-7 years of experience practicing patent law at a law firm and/or life sciences company, including substantial U.S. and foreign patent prosecution
- Technical background should include experience and/or advanced degree in relevant field, such as molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, or chemical engineering
- Strong legal, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects to meet deadlines
- In-house pharmaceutical development experience with focus in biologics or small molecules
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert