Research Associate I
- Gladstone Institutes
- San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Mar 16, 2023
- Regulatory, Research/Documentation, Science/R&D, Research
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
We are seeking an enthusiastic Research Associate (RA) to join the lab of Professor Deepak Srivastava at The Gladstone Institutes (San Francisco, CA). Our lab focuses on fundamental mechanisms of cell fate decisions in heart development and the identification of disrupted gene regulatory programs that lead to congenital heart defects.
The Srivastava lab has a long standing interest in training students, postdocs and research associates and is particularly interested in hiring candidates from diverse and under-represented backgrounds.
The RA in this position will be directly supervised by a senior postdoctoral fellow on projects that utilize a wide range of molecular, cell and developmental biology techniques. These include single cell genomics and epigenomics (scRNA-seq and scATAC-seq), CRISPR functional perturbations, mouse embryology, fluorescence microscopy and standard molecular biology techniques (cloning, plasmid DNA manipulation/preparation, agarose gel electrophoresis, PCR, RNA isolation, quantitative RT-PCR, chromatin immunoprecipitation). The application of these methods are in both mouse models and human pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC) models of congenital heart defects. The candidate will also assist in basic lab duties such as ordering and organization of supplies as well as general equipment maintenance.
The RA will be a full member of the scientific community in the lab, with the expectation that the candidate will take part in experiment design and interpretation of results, attend scientific seminars, participate in lab meeting discussions and be listed as co-author in publications. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate who wishes to pursue graduate or medical school training in the future.
To apply: Please attach a resume and a brief cover letter outlining your academic background, scientific interests and future career goals. Candidates willing to participate in DEI and outreach programs available at the Gladstone are particularly encouraged to apply.
BA/BS degree in a biology discipline (cell, molecular, developmental etc.)
1-2 years wet lab experience preferred
Prior experience with animal handling preferred but not required. Willingness to work with mouse models required.
Prior experience with human pluripotent stem cell culture preferred but not required. Willingness to learn cell culture skills required.
Coding experience in R or python a major plus
Excellent teamwork, organizational, communication, and time-management skills required.
$52K ($25/hr) - $61,177 ($29.41/hr)
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.
Gladstone is an independent, nonprofit life science research organization located in the epicenter of biomedical and technological innovation in the San Francisco Bay Area. Gladstone has created a research model that disrupts how science is done, funds big ideas, and attracts the brightest minds. Gladstone Institutes leads the way for innovative research in the biomedical field. We always seek dedicated and talented individuals to join our team.
Scientists know that using a diversity of approaches is often the most efficient strategy for solving a problem. New and different perspectives engender the very innovation that Gladstone prizes. This is one of the many reasons why we value diversity at Gladstone—be that a diversity of race, culture, religion, mental or physical ability, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Our employees hail from more than 30 countries around the globe and we seek to hire the best and brightest for our diverse team of scientists and administrators. Career opportunities are available in both our administrative offices and our research areas.
Gladstone offers eligible employees—and their dependents—a comprehensive range of benefits, including health insurance, retirement savings, and professional development.
- Health and Retirement
- A choice of medical plans, flexible spending account, and retirement account options that include employer contributions help you take care of your health and your future.
- Time Away from Work
- More than just vacation days, our paid and unpaid leave policies offer flexibility to help you confront different stages of life including maternity and paternity leave, as well as other types of family leave.
- Professional Development
- Gladstone encourages employees to seek the skills they need to remain at the forefront of their profession. By supporting professional development workshops and continuing education, Gladstone provides employees with the resources they need to evolve in their role and in their career.
- Gladstone Cares
- A specially selected suite of benefits to support you in and out of the workplace. Includes resources for dealing with the many stages of life to specific coverage for family planning, and back-up child or elder care coverage.
1650 Owens Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert