Senior Director, Early Pipeline/Product Communications
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Senior Director, Early Pipeline/Product CommunicationsGilead Global Therapeutic Area Communications & Community Engagement, a part of the Gilead Public Affairs Team, is an externally focused, strategic function, responsible for developing and delivering impactful strategies that are based in deep understanding of the external environment, aligned with therapeutic area objectives, and supportive of corporate goals and reputation. The team is dedicated to helping advance Gilead's vision to create a healthier world for all people.Gilead Sciences seeks a proven leader in therapeutic area/product communications to lead early pipeline communications across Gilead's therapeutic areas (Virology, Oncology, Inflammation, Liver Disease).The primary responsibility of the Senior Director, Early Pipeline Communications is to establish and implement impactful communications plans to elucidate the promise of our pipeline. Central to the role is an understanding of science and pharmaceutical development in order to be an effective partner to early pipeline teams; as well as a passion for translating scientific advancement into impactful communications strategies. The Senior Director works closely with early pipeline leaders and teams, acting as a strategic advisor and communications counsellor. As a member of the Gilead Public Affairs team, this role works in close collaboration with other Public Affairs leaders, including Global Therapeutic Area Communications, Leadership Communications, Community Engagement, as well as colleagues in Corporate Communications, Business Development, and Investor Relations.In addition to Early Pipeline communications responsibilities, all members of the Global Therapeutic Area Communications & Community Engagement team are expected to lead and contribute to establishing and embedding best practices at Gilead.Reporting to the VP Global Therapeutic Area Communications & Community Engagement, this role is based at Gilead's headquarters in Foster City, CA, and will sit on the Therapeutic Area Communication & Community Engagement Leadership Team. This is an individual contributor role.Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Develop communications strategies and plans to articulate and amplify the full potential of the early pipeline, with both internal and external audiences.
- Be the voice of the early pipeline within therapeutic area communications discussions to ensure links between early-stage, late-stage and on-market products, to support a complete therapeutic area picture.
- Be the voice within pipeline teams to support alignment with therapeutic area strategies.
- Be equally comfortable in a scientific discussion with early pipeline teams, and communications discussions with colleagues in Public Affairs.
- Maintain understanding of pipeline, therapeutic area, and corporate objectives, as well as the external environment.
- Keep Public Affairs colleagues informed of the progress of the pipeline, including assets that may be partnered or purchased.
- Provide communication leadership through story-telling that translates the promise of Gilead's pipeline for both internal and external engagement.
- Working with Public Affairs colleagues, ensure pipeline teams and Senior Leaders have a clear understanding of the external environment, specific strategies, and the progress the team is making.
- Ensure appropriate communications planning for pipeline milestones, and coordination with other communications leaders, as necessary.
- Work closely with Therapeutic Area Communications leaders in preparation for medical congresses.
- Prioritize, build, and maintain trust-based relationships with internal partners, including pipeline teams, Therapeutic Area Communications, Corporate Communications, Business Development, Investor Relations, and other members of the Public Affairs team.
- Actively participate in cross functional, cross-communications, and public affairs strategy discussions and planning
- Continually develop and share best practices, supporting and growing the value of the Therapeutic Area & Community Engagement team.
- Supervise consultants and contractors and manage budgets.
- Ensure integrity and uphold Gilead's corporate values and adherence to laws, regulations, and compliance principles.
- Be a Gilead and team ambassador with all stakeholders.
- Master's degree with a minimum 12 years' relevant experience working in communications 10 years within a scientific organization or 14 years' related experience with a bachelor's degree.
- Life sciences degree preferred.
- A track record of building strong internal, cross functional relationships and working in a networked environment
- Significant experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.