Principal Scientist I - Electrophysiologist
- Irvine, California
- Start date
- Mar 15, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Medicine, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach, Best Places to Work
Allergan Aesthetics Biological Research is seeking a highly motivated and innovative candidate who will direct and contribute to multi-disciplinary research in a highly collaborative environment. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and conducting screening and research studies using various electrophysiology platforms aimed at characterizing protein-based therapeutics. He/she will design and conduct a variety of in vitro/ex vivo electrophysiological assays to evaluate the activity and functionality of therapeutic proteins. The ideal candidate will be a recognized leader and technical expert in the field who will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/techniques to address critical project needs, either independently or by directing scientific personnel. He/she will organize, analyze, and interpret results, come forward with recommendations, or understanding of the results, communicate and present at team meetings and in reports, and have exceptional troubleshooting skills. The candidate will be working in a regulated and controlled environment and must be willing to adhere to strict guidelines for working with Select Agent protein toxins.
- Effectively function as a principal investigator, generating original technical ideas and research or development strategies to answer scientific questions.
- Demonstrate creative ‘out of the box’ thinking to solve difficult problems, champion new technologies, and independently modify experimental plans when required to achieve project goals.
- Understand the broad objectives of the project as well as their role in achieving those objectives.
- Work with cross-functional team members to accomplish the goals and requirements of the organization.
- Set and meet goals and experimental timelines.
- Make significant contributions to project teams through lab-based, or other work environment activities.
- Perform data analysis, write scientific reports, and provide presentations to multidisciplinary teams and to management.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency and expertise in his/her discipline.
- Learn, understand, and master new experimental techniques, and act as a resource, mentor and leader of others.
- Routinely read and apply relevant scientific literature. Contribute to writing and conceptual framework of publications, presentations, and patents. Effectively organize and present scientific plans and data internally and at leading scientific conferences.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug, and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Principle Scientist I: PhD with typically 6+ years of experience in an area or scientific area of discipline is strongly preferred. MS or equivalent education with typically 12+ years of experience will also be considered.
- Skilled at performing whole cell patch-clamp recordings in cultured cells/neurons. The ability to perform additional patch clamp techniques such as cell attached, inside out, outside out is a plus.
- Strong knowledge and experience with tissue slice electrophysiology. The ability to perform slice physiology on spinal cord slices with roots attached would be an advantage.
- Experience with calcium imaging, skin-nerve preparations, or in vivo ephys. skills/experience would be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a principal investigator, generating original technical ideas and research or development strategies.
- Demonstrate creative 'out of the box' thinking to solve difficult technical problems and champion new technologies to achieve project goals.
- Experienced and demonstrated success as primary author of publications, presentations, regulatory documents and/or primary inventor of patents.
- Accurate record keeping, training and adherence to lab safety standards/protocols is required.
- Exceptional scientific writing, communication and presentation skills are required.
- Computer skills: expert knowledge of MS-Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), graphing software (e.g., GraphPad prism, SigmaPlot) and strong understanding of statistical analyses is required.
Applicable to California Applicants Only The below range is the range that we in good faith believe is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and this range is only applicable for jobs to be performed in California. This range may be modified in the future. The salary range for this role is posted below This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive program This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees. Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert