Sr. Principal Engineer - Utilities
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Start date
- Mar 15, 2023
- Engineering, Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Best Places to Work
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Position Brand Description:
Provide energy/utility technical expertise and support to ensure that the Indianapolis Facilities Management (IFM) utility systems are cost effective and energy efficient while meeting stakeholder requirements and tracking consumption. Lead data collection, analysis, translation and reporting related to central utilities systems through ownership and utilization of PowerBI, SSRS and OSIsoft PI.
Drive the safety culture and HSE compliance in daily work
- Comply with all HSE aspects, support departmental HSE plans, including Process Safety Management (PSM) goals and objectives
- Promote and engage in safety initiatives and programs, including BSafe, JSA, safety walkthroughs and wellness programs.
- Manage the HSE management system energy aspects.
- Escalate quality issues to Lilly Technology Center Utilities (LTCU) and Facilities Management leadership and Quality Assurance leadership as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external safety and quality requirements.
- Ensure Learning Plan is accurate and training compliance is maintained at 100%.
- Proficiency with Trackwise /CAPA systems.
Technical Excellence (tactical focus)
- Provide technical guidance for energy management to the IFM Utilities groups and site customers.
- Lead the IFM Energy Reduction steering team and serve as Energy Management resource for IFM.
- Partner with IFM and manufacturing customers to identify and implement energy reduction projects.
- Develop energy savings initiatives and maintain database of potential energy savings initiatives
- Partner with utilities and customer engineers to find the most efficient and sustainable ways to operate buildings and manufacturing processes.
- Maintain project database and library of best practices
- Influence engineers and project teams on the design and selection of equipment to optimize energy efficiency.
- Use mathematical and computer models to carry out design and specification calculations to demonstrate energy savings potential.
- Lead Power BI implementation and ongoing support including but not limited to, building automated reports and dashboards, transfer from SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
- Within SSRS develop and support nightly batch process reports, use of Microsoft Reporting Services (SSRS), for reporting daily/weekly systems summaries.
- Manage existing, and create new, data integrations of the OSIsoft PI database as well as integrating local control system data to develop utilization and optimization plans.
Technical Excellence (strategic focus)
- Develop key performance indicators for energy management within IFM.
- Keep accurate records and collect energy monitoring/consumption data for utility and customer systems. Utilize data to communicate consumption rates to customers, determine budget allocations with Manufacturing Finance during business plan process and participate in meetings/negotiations with utility providers.
- Accurately baseline energy consumption down to the system/load level and compare with best practice guidelines. Improve and maintain utility metering strategy and documentation.
- Monitor new technologies or applications for energy savings potential.
- Keep up to date with energy efficiency programs offered by utility providers and influence participation as needed.
- Understand utility rate structures for the company and develop, coordinate, and implement strategies to reduce energy consumption and optimize overall savings.
- Develop programs for energy efficiency improvement and perform analyses to estimate energy savings using industry-accepted methodologies.
- Provide technical and practical advice and offer training on energy efficiency; developing promotional activities and materials to publicize particular schemes.
- Translate data into non-technical insights in order to help drive well informed decisions on processes.
- Develop data models pertinent to each utility system and present to LTC or IFM lead teams based on relevant area of impact.
- Develop business reports in support of the different systems across the IFM network.
- Partner with LTC manufacturing plant sites, Indianapolis Facilities Management leadership and the Engineering Tech Center to implement a shared vision and align strategically with the company’s direction and customer requirements for business plan inputs and capacity estimates.
- Track quarterly purchased utility spend and develop rolling forecasts for all phases of business planning.
- BS degree in Engineering or related science, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in Utilities/Facilities Engineering and/or Automation in a regulated environment
- Knowledge of various utility and state/federal energy efficiency incentive programs.
- Knowledgeable on the Lilly Engineering Standards
- Hazardous operations exist in the utilities area that may utilize acid, caustic, steam, chlorine, high pressures and high temperature, or create high noise in the manufacture of utilities systems. Employee must wear appropriate PPE when required.
This is a 100% onsite position, and is not a remote optional role. This would require relocation to Indianapolis, IN (within driving distance)
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert