Director, US Product Communications (Oncology)
United States - New Jersey - Morris PlainsUnited States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting millions of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.Director, Public Affairs, U.S. Oncology CommunicationsReporting to the Senior Director of Public Affairs, U.S. Oncology, this role will develop and implement U.S. campaigns and initiatives relating to Gilead's research and development efforts, current product portfolio, partnerships and programs spanning Gilead's growing lung and bladder cancer portfolio.The role is responsible for driving communications in the Oncology therapeutic area, liaising closely with the U.S. patient advocacy lead in lung cancer, as well as Global Oncology Public Affairs counterparts working on lung cancer.The successful candidate will help demonstrate Gilead's emerging opportunity in lung cancer by articulating and differentiating Gilead's vision across external and internal audiences, raising awareness of unmet medical and social needs that our science and programs seek to address, and communicating progress against these goals. This role works closely with cross-functional colleagues in the U.S. Commercial, Government Affairs and Policy, Legal, and Medical Affairs organizations, and engages colleagues across Public Affairs' global centers of expertise to help inform cross-functional priorities from a U.S. perspective.Responsibilities Include:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Drive communications related to Gilead's lung cancer portfolio in the U.S. and partner with Global Public Affairs colleagues on communications around major data and regulatory milestones.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to develop and maintain a lung cancer narrative that serves as a framework to organize storytelling and messaging.
- Develop proactive reputation platforms and tactics that strategically assert Gilead's point of view and demonstrate Gilead's emerging leadership in lung cancer in the U.S. Ensure all materials are accurate and comply with business conduct and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the submission, review and approval of materials through Gilead's review committee process.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of science and issues relevant to Gilead's lung cancer portfolio, ensuring that talking points and key message documents are updated and disseminated among internal and external audiences in a timely, proactive manner.
- Partner with Global Public Affairs colleagues in support of Gilead's current accelerated approval in bladder cancer and pending registration trial, as needed.
- Collaborate on programs related to lung cancer in other Public Affairs and Government Affairs centers of expertise, including corporate communications, community engagement, corporate giving and policy. Programs may include corporate advertising, corporate website and intranet content development, advocacy group engagement, funding opportunity announcements, among others.
- Typically requires a BA degree in communications, liberal arts, business or science-oriented field and 12 years + of relevant experience which includes 8-10 years of healthcare public relations experience or 10 years of relevant experience with a master's degree
- Expertise in product communications and media relations
- A strong understanding of the U.S. market access environment is essential
- Demonstrated experience driving communications plans that support business priorities
- Track record of developing and leading reputation building campaigns
- Ability to interact with senior management, academic experts and patient advocates appropriately, with confidence and ease
- Ability to influence others and drive alignment across diverse teams
- A passion for engaging in public health and policy issues
- Prior experience in Oncology communications is required and lung cancer-specific experience is highly desired
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations governing communications for a publicly-traded biopharmaceutical company
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.