Associate Director, Contracts - Biotech (Non-Attorney/Paralegal)
- Rain Oncology
- Newark, CA
- Start date
- Mar 14, 2023
- Regulatory, Legal/Compliance, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Position: Associate Director, Contracts, Biotech
Are you ready to join a growing, innovative, precision oncology powerhouse? Rain Oncology Inc is committed to building a passionate team of core scientific, clinical, regulatory, and business leaders to bring new therapies for cancer patients struggling with limited treatment options. Our focus has been and will continue to be new oncology therapeutics based on targeting the biological drivers of the cancer, regardless of tumor type.
We envision our company culture driven by spirited individuals with an entrepreneurial mindset who want to solve problems, and leaders who are sufficiently experienced to know success in the drug development industry comes with great challenges; it will never be a straight line. We are looking for team members that are passionate about helping patients at the worst time in their lives. Rain Oncology strongly believes that we are tremendously fortunate to aim our careers towards having a direct impact on patients, and we intend to fully leverage this opportunity with aggressive developmental timelines for a multitude of pipeline programs, all unified across a precision oncology strategy.
Summary of Key Performance Objectives
The Associate Director, Contracts will manage our day-to-day contracting functions as part of the legal team. This position reports to the Head of Legal Affairs and will be based in San Francisco Bay Area.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing contracting activities which may include triaging requests for agreements, drafting, reviewing, negotiating, executing, tracking, and filing contracts including, but not limited to, confidentiality agreements, consultant agreements, master services agreements, work orders, clinical trial agreements, investigator- initiated trial agreements (IIT’s), and various research and technical ops/CMC agreements. The candidate must be able to strategically prioritize requests to facilitate rapid contract preparation, review, and finalization in a fast-paced environment.
This individual will be responsible for all transactional/contracting functions in the legal department and will manage and oversee the contract management system, develop and manage monthly statistics and reports, and may assist with outside counsel requests. This position will work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to continuously improve the contracting process by developing feedback mechanisms and implementing modifications that increase the efficiency of the contract life cycle process. In addition, this position will provide legal support to various internal teams regarding contractual obligations and triage legal and business questions, as required. Eventually this position may handle miscellaneous legal tasks on an as needed basis under the direction of an attorney.
Critical Job Skills:
- Responsible for all transactional contract reviews as a first reviewer unless otherwise directed by the Head of Legal Affairs.
- Complete understanding of the end-to-end contracting process and manages the inhouse contract management system.
- Understands and can explain the technical differences between the various contract types
- Identify compliance and/or legal risk and assist in the management of compliance initiatives, as directed.
- Always demonstrates a high level of professionalism; able to build trusting and respectful relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong initiative, attention to detail, and exceptional follow-through are essential
- Able to anticipate and proactively solve issues
- Must be able to communicate in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion
- Must be comfortable working independently and as an engaged team member
- Strong word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Ability to create new processes and workflow
- Possess contract software and database knowledge
- Knowledge of legal terminology a plus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Law/paralegal or related experience preferred
- Approximately 8-10 years’ experience working directly with contracts or in a contracting department
- Biotech/pharma/life science experience required
- Proficient in keeping detailed records of all contracting activities
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills
- Successful history of collaborating with teams on cross-functional initiatives
- Committed to the values of integrity, accountability, and transparency
- Rain Oncology is a hybrid working model, with the expectation of 1-2 days per week in the office.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- This position must frequently communicate with others via computer and phone
- Travel is anticipated to be <10%
Rain Oncology is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Rain are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The pay range that the Company reasonably expects to pay for this position at the Associate Director level is $203,000-$242,000; the pay ultimately offered may vary based on objective considerations, including job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and education. An annual cash bonus and equity grants may be provided as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to a full range of financial, health and wellness benefits, dependent on the position offered.
Local Candidates Only**
Rain BRINGS LIFE
The beauty and complexity of life is near limitless, with the world around us based on the cyclicality of the seasons and marking a shift in the progression of life. When the rains come, they bring sustenance to the life all around us, from which there is renewal and replenishment. Water and the rain help reinvigorate life and strengthen us for the path forward.
Rain Oncology was named to symbolize the renewal, sustenance and replenishment that reinvigorates life afforded by the rains. In the same way, we hope to provide a renewal and reinvigoration for patients debilitated by cancer. Rain Oncology hopes to leverage industry-leading insight into the mechanisms triggering cancer to find precision therapeutic strategies that may offer patients an improved chance of getting their lives back.
Rain Oncology was founded in 2017 as a precision oncology company leveraging a deep scientific knowledge of drug mechanism and designing clinical trials with the most appropriate patient population most likely to benefit from treatment. Rain is focused on a few critical objectives: (1) strive to greatly enhance probabilities of therapeutic success for patients by focusing on genetic biomarkers that may predict optimal therapeutic strategies, and (2) pursue biomarker-based trial designs of limited size that enable rapid decision-making and redirecting of strategy when needed, minimizing expense and preserving capital resources.
Our team is the heart and soul of Rain Oncology. Not only is a dynamic, energetic, entrepreneurial team essential to drug development success at Rain, it's also paramount to the type of culture where people feel rewarded every day.
Rain Oncology is looking for team members that don't want to work in a conventional corporate environment. We are looking for professionals who believe, at their core, that a small company that empowers its people can move much more quickly and effectively than large organizations with significantly more financial firepower. Rain Oncology is looking for experts who want more control in galvanizing 21st-century science for patients.
Stock Symbol: RAIN
8000 Jarvis Ave Suite 204
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert