Manager, Lab Operations
- Maze Therapeutics
- South San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Mar 13, 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Operations, Science/R&D, Laboratory
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
About Maze Therapeutics
Maze is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company harnessing the power of human genetics to transform the lives of patients through the development of a pipeline of novel precision medicines for patients with genetically defined diseases. Maze is leveraging Compass™, a proprietary, end-to-end purpose built platform to advance a pipeline of precision medicines across four disease areas - renal, cardiac, neurological and metabolic diseases. Our flexible business model aims to translate our genetic insights into new therapies for patients as possible.
Maze is comprised of a team of passionate and creative professionals committed to discovering and delivering transformative medicines to patients suffering from both rare and common genetic diseases. We are fostering a culture that encourages vision, initiative and the development of talent. Our supportive work environment inspires creative thinking and freedom of expression, resulting in a stimulating atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. While we have a passion for advanced science and pride ourselves on excellence in execution, ultimately, everything we do is about patients.
Our Core Values
Further Together – Our path is paved with challenges, but with resilience and a team-first mentality, we’ll achieve our mission.
Impact Obsessed – We embrace the bold, take calculated risks, and learn from our mistakes to improve the lives of others.
Stand True – Our integrity is foundational; it guides us no matter the obstacle.
- Lead Laboratory Operations in a multidisciplinary BSL2 environment by organizing and supporting all aspects of daily operations and safety of the wet lab space
- Establish relationships with external vendors and create efficient procurement and inventory practices by identifying key consumables and reagents with research personnel
- Establish SOPs and manage shipping & receiving of lab supplies, equipment and reagents. Work with R&D team to ensure appropriate storage, documentation, and processing of samples
- Monitor and maintain laboratory equipment, schedule routine repairs/calibrations, and manage service contract renewals and software/hardware upgrades. Provide training on equipment as needed
- Manage/upgrade electronic inventory databases for chemical and biological reagents working with the research informatics and research teams. Ensure inventory management systems meet end-user requirements and are scalable to growing needs
- Plan and co-ordinate large-scale facility changes including lab reorganizations and/or expansion
- Serve as the primary point of contact with EH&S services and work closely in collaboration with the facility operations teams to maintain a safe, compliant, and fully-functional work environment
- Maintain overall lab organization and cleanliness, including lab design and layout for maximum workflow efficiency
- As head of the safety committee, you will establish lab procedures; create and manage lab-related documentation, and organizational processes such as annual laboratory cleanouts and micropipette calibrations
- Work with Finance and Research Leadership teams to establish the lab operating budget and contribute to CapEx strategy and execution
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting, including occasional off-hours responses to laboratory emergencies
- Oversee the handling and disposal of hazardous and medical waste as per local government guidelines
- BS or higher degree in life sciences with 5+ years’ experience in lab operations, preferably in industry environment
- Demonstrated in-depth experience establishing and managing lab set-up and ongoing operations
- Hands on knowledge in lab and workstation design, set up and relocation
- Experience relocating lab equipment, chemicals, biologics, radiation, vivarium, and temperature sensitive samples and reagents
- Up to date thorough understanding with local, state and federal government bodies that mandate lab safety and EH&S policies. Experience with leading the organizations safety committee is a plus
- Excellent analytical and flexible skills to understand complex lab issues and provide solutions with tight deadlines
- Experience with CRO’s is a plus; experience in implementing and maintain data systems is a plus
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a team-oriented attitude
The expected salary range for this role for employees located in the San Francisco bay area is $125,100 - $141,250. Additionally, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus.
Maze performs position-based compensation benchmarking to industry market data to ensure we pay competitive wages. Determination of starting salary will depend upon a variety of job-related factors, which may include professional experience, skills and job location. The expected salary range for this role may be modified in the future.
Maze offers a robust benefits package to our eligible employees including competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health offerings, equity incentive plan, 401(k) program with employer match and a generous holiday and PTO policy.
Maze Therapeutics is translating novel genetic insights into lifesaving medicines, through an approach that integrates human genetics and functional genomics. Advances in these areas have enabled us to decode the mysteries of genetic modifiers in a range of severe diseases, which we aim to turn into medicines that mimic protective mutations.
What are genetic modifiers?
Despite an understanding of the genetic basis for many diseases, it remains a mystery why some people with a disease-causing mutation never get sick. This is often due to genes elsewhere in our DNA that affect the severity of disease and can provide a natural form of protection.
The Maze approach
Dramatic advances in human genetics and functional genomics now enable us to decode the mysteries of genetic modifiers in a range of severe diseases. Today, we believe we can systematically identify genetic modifiers and turn these insights into medicines. We have assembled a world-class team to realize this vision, including creative scientific pioneers, experienced company builders and biotech industry leaders.
Join us in our pursuit to change lives by translating genetic insights into medicine - view our job postings with the link to the left.
171 Oyster Point Blvd, Suite 200
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert