Director of Business Development
- Southern Research
- Birmingham, AL
- Start date
- Mar 13, 2023
- Information Technology, Business/Data Analytics, Sales & Service, Business Development
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
Director of Business Development
Southern Research (SR) is a translational research institute that transforms ideas into innovation, and innovation into jobs and economic opportunity. Over its 80-year history, SR has developed seven FDA-approved drugs, contributed to the development of over half of chemotherapies currently in use in the US, and served hundreds of commercial, academic, and government partners. SR recently unveiled a new strategic plan centered on making Birmingham and Alabama national biotech centers of excellence in partnership with Alabama academic institutions, policymakers, educators, and economic development organizations.
Southern Research is at a pivotal moment in its 80-year history. At the start of 2022, SR launched a new strategic plan focused on translational research in the life sciences. SR will invest over $150 million in this new strategy, including development of new facilities, platforms, and programs. These investments will allow us to build cutting-edge industry partnerships, better serve client needs, and drive development of new IP to launch and support startup companies.
The Director of Business Development will serve as a connective tissue between SR's commercial engagement strategy and its translational research. This role will help to build SR's business development capabilities; engage with startups, venture capital funds, pharmaceutical companies, and other partners; and represent SR at conferences and other events.
We are looking for an energetic and nimble executer who thinks critically, relishes details, effectively collaborates with a diverse array of stakeholders, and has demonstrated an interest in scientific research, commercialization, and economic growth.
- Co-develop a business development strategy for SR, focusing on service to small and mid-sized biotech and biopharma companies
- Champion SR's strategy as a translational research institute focused on economic development and public health in Alabama and the South
- Grow the business development team, including hiring of business development managers, business development representatives, and marketing specialists
- Develop go-to-market strategies for SR's new business lines, including data science, bioinformatics, diagnostics, and commercialization
- Inform development of new business lines as SR's market-facing expert, including through engagement with partners and key opinion leaders
- Generate new business partnerships and research collaborations for SR across divisions, including drug discovery, preclinical drug development, diagnostics, data science, and IP licensing
- Represent Southern Research in outreach efforts through marketing, conferences, and other engagement efforts (includes travel)
- Provide technical expertise during client development and partnership conversations mirroring Southern Research's scientific offerings
- Serve as the primary partner point of contact across SR's divisions, interfacing between partners and SR's technical sales and scientific personnel
- Identify new marketing and engagement channels through which SR can reach partners
- Co-develop marketing materials with SR's Communications team
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced educational degree, certification, or commensurate work experience in biomedical sciences, pharmacology, chemistry, or a related field
- Five to ten years of experience in a business development or a related commercial field within the biomedical sciences
- Passion for building relationships around scientific collaboration, and comfort discussing technical concepts in drug discovery and development with potential partners and clients
- Strong ability to communicate scientific and business strategy concepts, including through memos, reports, and slide decks
- Comfort in a dynamic work environment, collaborating with stakeholders across divisions of the organization
- Experience with building teams to support a common goal
- Willingness to travel, initially 40%-60% and later 20-40% upon self-determined schedule
- Willingness to work in-person or hybrid (three days per week) in office when not traveling
- Passionate about translational research, commercialization of new technologies, and innovation-driven economic development
Work Environment & Conditions
This position is required to work in an office setting using a computer for extended periods of time. Personal involvement and exposure, including travel, to other locations is required. This position may also include entry to laboratory or workspace areas that will require use of appropriate PPE.
MOVING SCIENCE. Our experts turn what couldn't be done into what we can't live without. By translating research into innovation, we act as catalysts that save lives and cultivate Birmingham's biotech scene. We are conduits between Science and Society. With precision, we transform ideas into discoveries. We see possibilities before they exist and activate scientific progress that is purposeful. We move science, because the promise of a brighter future moves us. We work with more than 150 industry and academic partners to drive scientific discoveries. From drug discovery to development, to carbon capture and environmental health sciences, every layer of our scientific and professional teams serve a fundamental role in moving science. We're making Birmingham the biotech hub of the southeast. Coming in 2024, our new biotech center will feature 60,000 sq. ft. of commercial wet labs, A/BSL-3 space and data science facilities. Our team will grow 125 scientific jobs and help shape the future of biotech in Alabama. We're investing in renovations of 40,000 sq. ft. of facilities including vivarium space and launching a new clinical diagnostics lab.
- (205) 581-2000
2000 9th Avenue South
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert