Scientist 2, Protein Biochemist
- Eikon Therapeutics
- Hayward, California
- Start date
- Mar 11, 2023
- Science/R&D, Bioengineering, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
As a Scientist in Biochemistry at Eikon, you will lead the efforts to produce recombinant proteins of interest to support advancement of our broad drug discovery pipeline and platform development. You will also help developing conventional biophysical assays to characterize proteins and support latest single-molecule imaging techniques. You will collaborate closely with other biochemists, biologists, chemists, computer scientists and microscope engineers to create and leverage new assay and screening approaches that will push our drug discovery pipeline forward.
- Strong computer, scientific, and organizational skill
- Independently plans & executes scientific research demonstrating rigorous scientific thinking including quality data generation and interpretation to support the next set of experiments; exercises good scientific judgment with regular check-ins with manager.
- Delivers actionable, timely results that impact the Company portfolio.
- Independently develops and delivers presentations to project team (beyond own department.)
What You’ll Do
- Design and execute protein expression in bacterial, insect cell, and/or mammalian expression system.
- Perform protein chromatography and basic protein characterization, biochemically or biophysically.
- Manage outsourcing of construct design and protein production through Contract Research Organizations
- Contribute to the support of protein structure studies
- Postdoc Fellowship or PhD plus 2 years of relevant experience; or Master’s plus 12 years of relevant experience; or Bachelor’s plus 14 years of relevant experience in independent experimental design, focused on bioengineering, protein biochemistry, computational protein design, or structural biology
- Well versed in molecular biology techniques for building or synthesizing constructs for various expressions systems
- Strong understanding of protein structure and function used to support drug discovery projects
At Eikon, employee compensation also includes bonus and equity compensation, in addition to several generous benefit programs, including:
- 401k plan with company matching
- Medical (premiums covered by Eikon at 95%), dental and vision insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%)
- Mental health and wellness benefits
- Weeklong summer and winter holiday shutdowns
- Generous paid time off and holiday policies
- Life/AD&D Insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%) and optional supplemental employee-paid life/AD&D policies
- Enhanced parental leave benefit
- Daily subsidized lunch program when on-site
The expected salary range for this role is $118,000 to $136,000 depending on skills, competency, and the market demand for your expertise.
Eikon is a pioneering drug discovery and development company that leverages superior engineering and high-performance computing to analyze single molecule protein behavior in living cells. We are engineering a battery of innovative tools and technologies for biological exploration in drug discovery and beyond.
Eikon thrives on the energy and creativity of interdisciplinary teams. We are physicists and chemists, biologists and engineers. We spend our days context-switching between multiple scientific languages. We work with lasers, super-resolution microscopes, and robot arms. We leverage machine learning, cell line engineering, and the collective intelligence of world-class scientists and technologists to observe therapeutically relevant biology in a way no one has before.
We’re endlessly curious, intellectually honest and we love what we do. We’re driven to learn the true mechanisms of biology and pharmacology at the molecular level, to make the biggest difference in as many lives as possible.
3929 Point Eden Way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert