Life Science Data Engineer Intern
- New York, NY
- Start date
- Mar 11, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Data, Information Technology, Business/Data Analytics, Database Administration
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Pharm Country
We’re seeking a Life Science Data Engineer Intern to join us in our mission to improve human health and quality of life through the development, distribution, and application of advanced computational methods!
As a member of our Discovery Informatics team, you’ll play a role in the administration and improvement of our chemical/biological data pipelines, management system, and other software to support our computational drug design efforts through the development of cloud-based software solutions.
Who will love this job:
- A polymath who enjoys utilizing knowledge from different domains, including computer science, chemistry, statistics, and/or biology
- A creative problem-solver and collaborator with excellent attention to detail
- A humanitarian who cares deeply about improving human health and making a positive impact on the world
What you’ll do:
- Use your chemistry/biology knowledge to understand and solve scientists’ data needs
- Research applicable technologies and investigate potential solutions to a presented problem via self-learning
- Troubleshoot and fix bugs
- Learn and follow industry best practices in software engineering
- Deploy features to testing environments on cloud machines
- Monitor and manage cloud infrastructure
- Participate in code reviews and gather feedback of peer engineers
What you’ll learn:
- An applied understanding of software engineering (i.e., code reviews, CICD, quality assurance, release cycles and versioning, working with git/Github, etc.)
- An overview of the state of computational drug design at a software-biotech from an engineering perspective
- Career pathing at the intersection of chemistry/biology and software
- How to build a feature that you fully own and that you will oversee from research to design to implementation to review
- Hands-on understanding of data modeling and data architecture for scientific data
What you should have:
- Coursework in computer and life science
- Proficiency in Python and appreciation of R
- Understanding of relational databases/SQL
- Knowledge of CI/CD processes and source control tools such as GitHub and related development processes
- Exposure to Google Cloud or Amazon Web Services is a plus
- Understanding of APIs, web development, and database management systems is a plus
- Familiarity with building real-time streaming data pipelines is a plus
Pay and perks:
We have catered meals in the office every day and a company culture that is relaxed but engaged. Our Administrative and Human Resources departments also plan a myriad of fun company-wide events. New York is home to our largest office, but we have teams all over the world. Schrödinger is honored to have been selected as one of Crain's New York Best Places to Work for the past three years running.
Estimated base salary (NYC only): $7,500/mo. Actual compensation package is dependent on a number of factors, including, for example, experience, education, degrees held, market data, and business needs. If you have any questions regarding the compensation for this role, do not hesitate to reach out to a member of our Strategic Growth team.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join us!
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company's mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. To us, "diversity" isn't just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn't mean better headlines or public images - it means increased adaptability and profitability.
Schrödinger is a leading provider of advanced molecular simulations and enterprise software solutions and services to accelerate and increase the efficiency of drug discovery for its clients, which include all major pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies worldwide, as well as leading materials science researchers. Schrödinger also establishes deep partnerships and collaborations with companies in such fields as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and electronics, and was a co-founder of leading biotech companies including Nimbus Therapeutics, Morphic Therapeutic, and others. Through significant long-term investments in basic research, Schrödinger has made scientific breakthroughs across many areas of drug discovery and materials science.
A great company is made up of great people, and Schrödinger is no exception. Whether you’re in Administration, Sales, Finance, Law, Engineering, IT, or Science, we are always on the lookout for exceptional candidates who can join us and make our team stronger. You will find Schrödinger to be a dynamic, energetic, and fast-paced place to work, where you get to interact with some of the smartest and hardest working people you’ll ever meet. If you’ve ever had a curiosity about science, and how science can improve people’s lives, then there’s no
better place to be than Schrödinger.
Stock Exchange: NASDAQ
Stock Symbol: SDGR
120 West 45th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert