Scientist I - Tissue Material Science
- Irvine, California
- Start date
- Mar 11, 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Infectious Disease
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach, Best Places to Work
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix: leading discussions, asking the right questions, and driving results. AbbVie is always striving to find top scientists to work at our Irvine, CA site.
Scientist I - Tissue Materials Science (Plastic Surgery) – Irvine, CA
What your manager wants you to know: “I’m looking for a proactive Scientist with a background in biology or biomedical engineering and looking to advance their career. You should be ready to contribute to a dynamic, innovative, and scientifically oriented organization. If you enjoy science, innovation, and solving complex problems and want to be part of a team that collaborates across multiple disciplines and functions to support the Allergan Aesthetics Medical Device franchises, I would be very interested in receiving your resume. We can discuss what you can bring to the team and what you aspire to do in the future.”
Allergan Aesthetics, Device Biology R&D, is seeking a Scientist I who will be responsible for performing a range of cell and tissue-based in vitro assays and develop and execute in vivo research on cell/tissue interactions with novel silicone-based medical devices, possibly in conjunction with other biomaterials- or cell/tissue-based products for plastic surgery/breast surgery applications. This involves performing both benchtop and animal-based testing, including independently developing and implementing new assays tailored to evaluating device performance utilizing various cell & molecular biology and/or material & device characterization methods. Under general supervision and with limited supervisor input, the candidate will be expected to develop and analyze results from the studies. Techniques employed may include supporting or performing small animal surgeries, 3D imaging, histology, microscopy, as well as common practices in cell and molecular biology, such as cell culture, PCR, flow cytometry, and ELISA. Proficiency in in vivo animal handling and care, as well as good overall working knowledge of common laboratory techniques in a BSL 2 environment is strongly preferred. It is also expected that the incumbent can successfully perform experiments with routine troubleshooting, keep accurate records, and facilitate interpretation and analysis of experimental data with the support of the manager. Additional day to day activities may include statistical analysis of results, staying current in the relevant therapeutic areas, and some lab support activities including ordering materials and general lab organization. Creativity, acute attention to detail, strong communication skills, as well as the ability to successfully operate as part of a team-based environment is crucial.
- Develop and execute in vivo and in vitro assays and models to evaluate the cell/tissue response to implantable biomaterials/medical devices
- Perform scientific studies to develop and qualify new test methods and/or procedures
- Perform data analysis and interpretation of results and prepare data presentations for internal and external stakeholders
- Document and prepare data summaries of methods and results in written reports
- Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Device Biology Research as well as other departments
- M.S. degree with 2+ years of equivalent experience or B.S. degree with 4+ years of post-graduate experience in industry. Degree in a related scientific or engineering discipline (biomedical engineering, immunology, molecular cell biology, or similar)
- Experience with …
- Technical background with biomaterials, implantable devices, cell biology, and immunology or immune/inflammatory response to medical devices strongly preferred
- Hands-on experience with performing small and large animal surgeries and willingness to perform in vivo, ex vivo, and in vitro research activities
- Experience using various cell and molecular biology techniques to assess cell/tissue-biomaterial interactions
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently with a high degree of efficiency
- Proven track record of designing and executing on scientific hypothesis-driven research and creative problem-solving
- Capable of delivering complex technical information in a clear and easy-to-understand manner both in writing and verbally through presentations, technical reports, manuscripts, and IP submissions
ABBVIE LEADERSHIP SKILLS:
- Excellence Focused
- Open and Authentic
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert