Director, Project Management Operations
- Emergent BioSolutions
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Start date
- Mar 10, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Project Management, Manufacturing & Production
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The Director of Project Management Operations within Science & Development (S&D) will be responsible for providing leadership to advance the S&D portfolio of programs and projects through resource coordination (people, equipment, facilities), oversight and management of PM tools and processes, and leading and developing a team of project managers in support of delivering project success in advancement of our portfolio of development programs and projects.
This individual must be a strong team player who is able to develop a team of PMs, work with business leaders at all levels, and drive adherence to and improvement of PM tools and processes.
The successful candidate must have a strategic and process focused mindset, firsthand experience in biopharma project management and/or business operations, and experience in developing a diverse team that might be cross-site and/or cross functional. The candidate must be able to work independently, multi-task, and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
This role reports to the Head of S&D Project Management Office. This role will be part of the S&D PM leadership team and contribute to PMO initiatives.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Single point of accountability for PM tools, principles, and processes, ensuring appropriate use, deployment, and refinement via continuous improvement
• Leading harmonization and assessment of business resource (people, equipment, facilities) analysis and driving decisions that advance programs and overall portfolio execution
• Leading R&D Capital Expenditure process planning and execution
• Leading and developing a team of project managers who support the overall business and portfolio per plan and aligned with business goals, including coaching and mentoring staff for self-development and PM growth (soft skills, hard skills, and PM Body of Knowledge). These PMs may support technical operations and laboratories, technical services, lifecycle management, and preclinical.
• Co-lead (with Product Development PM leader) the creation and/or evolution of PM processes based on firsthand knowledge of opportunities, constraints, and risks
• Facilitating program steering committee and/or portfolio development committee meetings
• Single point of accountability for Project Management Product Development governance; ensuring training is effective, process adherence, and continuous improvement
As a leader within the S&D Project Management organization, responsibilities include:
• Supporting funding proposals, including building strategy, forming, and leading team, creation of integrated and resourced schedule, and statement of work
• Providing PM leadership for development integration efforts, providing single point of accountability to the business and leadership of steering, core, and/or working teams
• Support leadership team as needed in planning and preparation of agendas and meeting minutes, and facilitation of meetings
• Chair Project Management leadership team meetings; planning meetings and identifying and sequencing areas of focus in both the near and long term, strategic and tactical
• Creating clear and compelling communications (written, verbal, presentation) for various audiences, driving clarity and alignment
• Providing coaching, development, and problem-solving solutions to direct reports and overall PM community
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Leadership – Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively negotiates and influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing across reporting structure – Includes personnel in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvements; Takes responsibility for team members’ activities; Develops team members’ skills and encourages growth; Fosters quality focus in others; Sets expectations, monitors, and delegates activities; Provides recognition for results.
• Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
• Business Acumen and Ownership – Understands business implications of decisions. Aligns work with strategic goals; works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
The qualified candidate will have:
• College degree in the biological sciences; advanced degree is ideal
• Minimum of 8 years of project management and/or business leadership experience is required, where a portion of the experience includes PM team leadership, including at least 6 years of technical experience in biologics, vaccine or drug development
• Experience managing programs funded under government or NGO grants and/or contracts is ideal
• Earned Value Management experience is ideal
• PMP certification is ideal
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, & Word)
• Extensive experience with scheduling software (e.g., MS Project, Smartsheet)
• High Emotional Intelligence
- Active listening skills
- Reflective, self-aware and confident
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Communicates effectively (across all domains: oral, non-verbal and written)
Demonstrated skills in the following areas:
• Strategic planning skills and experience with Lean, Systems thinking, Process Mapping, Hoshin planning, and other business planning and improvement initiatives
• Collaborating effectively, balancing stakeholders and organizationally savvy (able to comfortably maneuver through complex policies, processes, or organizational dynamics)
• Able to receive, provide feedback and ask meaningful questions
• Planning and aligning; driving results consistently to ensure goals are met and drives ahead in the presences of challenges or setbacks with a positive & productive attitude
• Able to adapt in real time to the shifting demands of different situations and stakeholders
• Innovative and works to optimize work processes
• Problem-solving skills: identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics
• Experience in building and leading effective teams
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert