Medical Director, Neuroscience Clinical Development
- North Chicago, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 8, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Development, Clinical Research
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
Oversees the direction, planning, execution and interpretation of clinical trials or research activities of a clinical development program. Participates in cross-functional teams to generate, deliver and interpret high-quality clinical data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy.
- Manages the design and implementation of one or more clinical development programs in support of an overall Development Plan, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations and emerging issues. Oversees project-related education of investigators, study site personnel and AbbVie study staff. Responsibility may extend from early translational development activities to mature product lifecycle management strategies for internal and/or partnered programs.
- Has overall responsibility for oversight of clinical studies, monitoring overall study integrity and review, interpretation and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. Along with Clinical Operations, is responsible for oversight of study enrollment and overall timelines for key deliverables. Responsible for assessment and reporting of serious adverse events per corporate policy and regulations for those protocols on which assigned.
- Responsible for design, analysis, interpretation and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study Reports, regulatory submissions and responses and other program documents.
- May oversee the work of Associate Medical and/or Scientific Directors and of Clinical Scientists working on the same or related programs.
- Provides in-house clinical expertise for the molecule and disease, coordinating appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders as they relate to ongoing clinical projects. May participate in due diligence or other business development activity. As required by program needs, contributes in partnership with Discovery colleagues to design and implementation of translational strategies.
- May serve on or chair a Clinical Subteam , or it’s equivalent with responsibility for development of a rigorous, cross-functionally-aligned, vetted Development Plan with full consideration of contingencies and alternative approaches. In the role as lead of the Clinical Subteam (or it’s equivalent), responsibilities may include supervision of matrix team members and serving as Clinical Research representative to lend clinical development and medical expertise to an Asset Strategy Team (AST), AST Leadership Board (ALB) and/or other cross-functional teams and internal stakeholders.
- Acts as a clinical interface and actively solicits opinion leader interactions related to the molecule and disease area; partners with Medical Affairs, Commercial and other functions in these activities as required, consistent with corporate policies, to ensure that broad cross-functional perspectives are incorporated into Clinical Development Plans and protocols as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of professional information and technology through conferences, medical literature and other available training, to augment expertise in the therapeutic area.
- Responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as a clinical representative for key regulatory discussions.
- Ensures adherence to Good Clinical Practices, pharmacovigilance standards, standard operating procedures and to all other quality standards in conducting research.
- Medical Doctor (M.D.) or non-US equivalent of M.D. degree with relevant therapeutic specialty (Neurology or Psychiatry) Completion of a residency program in Psychiatry or Neurology strongly preferred.
- At least 2 years of clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent.
- Ability to run a clinical research program of moderate complexity with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform and bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development of clinical strategy and the design of study protocols.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert