Senior Research Specialist
- Emory University
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Start date
- Mar 8, 2023
- Science/R&D, Research, Genetics, Immunology, Pathology, Virology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
The Gordon Laboratory seeks a motivated Senior Research Specialist to support cutting-edge experimental genetics and immunology studies.
Our lab applies cutting-edge CRISPR techniques and systems-level analyses to gain mechanistic insights into human disease and explore novel immunotherapeutic and antiviral approaches. In this role, you will focus on advanced CRISPR and molecular cloning approaches. You will contribute to multiple projects, support laboratory organization, develop novel protocols, and participate in study analyses and documentation.
We strongly believe that the best science emerges from an environment of generous collaboration, reinforced by a culture of learning, curiosity, and the sharing of skills and advice. In considering new members of our group, we value a positive can-do attitude, evidence of previous success in laboratory environments, attention to detail, and cultural fit. This is a superb opportunity for a sharp scientist to rapidly develop new laboratory skills in a supportive learning environment.
- Independently performs a wide range of highly technical and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Devises highly specialized research procedures by applying a knowledge of advanced research techniques and equipment.
- Provides input to protocol development.
- Serves as a technical resource for other research personnel.
- Analyzes and interprets the results of studies.
- Investigates and recommends alternative approaches to improve the quality of results.
- Trains research staff in specialized procedures and theoretical concepts for unique tests.
- Recommends new equipment and supplies needed for specialized procedures.
- Provides input into the development of departmental goals and objectives.
- May assist in grant and other funding application preparation.
- Review literature for related research developments and techniques.
- Prepares written materials, charts and graphs on specialized techniques and research results for publication or presentation.
- Oversees quality assurance of research performed by others.
- Monitors the handling, storage and disposal of hazardous substances.
- Performs related responsibilities as required. Employees in this classification may be required to work with, take specific precautions against and/or be immunized against potentially hazardous agents.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in a scientific field and four years of research experience, OR equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
- Mammalian tissue culture experience
- Virology experience / handling of blood borne pathogens
- BSL2* or BSL3 tissue culture experience
- Work with human blood and/or primary human immune cells
- Mass spectrometry experience
- Quantitative PCR
- Analysis of large datasets and/or handling of large databases
- Transfection, viral transduction, and/or electroporation of genetic material into living cells
- Molecular biology experience (CRISPR, PCR, and restriction cloning)
- DNA sequence analysis (BLAST, Snapgene, and/or other DNA analysis tools)
NOTE: Position tasks are required to be performed in-person at an Emory University location; working remote is not an option. Emory reserves the right to change this status with notice to employee.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert