Director Enterprise CI and Process Optimization
- North Chicago, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 7, 2023
- Engineering, Manufacturing & Production, Process
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
Lead and operate AbbVie's enterprise IT continuous improvement (CI) and process optimization team. The role is part of the AdvanceIT organization within BTS (Business Technology Solutions) and is responsible for driving operational excellence across the enterprise. This team will generate value through the ongoing improvement and refinement of the processes IT utilizes to achieve results. These include delivery, financial management, portfolio, and operational practices which comprise the overall “Business of BTS”.
The role reports to the Director, Business of BTS and works closely with all business and IT leadership. Scope of the role includes processes used across commercial, operations, R&D, and corporate functions including enterprise-wide internal and external solutions and platforms. Alignment of IT functional requirements and stakeholders to the overall process design will be critical to success. The role will also partner across the AdvanceIT organization to ensure alignment with overall BTS strategic objectives and imperatives.
Additionally, the role will be responsible for developing a CI team, capability, and corresponding culture that can be leveraged to support future improvement opportunities across BTS. The team will focus on bringing value to the organization through operating cost reduction and cycle time reduction. This leadership role will develop a strategy and plan to enable CI objectives through corresponding tools and processes. Tracking and reporting value derived from CI initiatives will also be a direct responsibility.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Leadership and People Responsibilities: Oversee the hiring and training of new and existing staff, conduct performance reviews, and provide leadership, technical guidance and coaching to staff; reporting to Director, Business of BTS collaborate to build organizational talent by creating a learning environment that ensures employees realize their highest potential.
- Operational Responsibilities: Provide oversight, leadership, and management to the CI optimization team; establishing priorities, setting goals, monitoring progress, and coordinating efforts with other groups in IT; develop the appropriate KPIs to measure and improve.
- Finance/Budgetary Responsibilities: Manage the budget for department activities; monitor and control resources, expenses and capital costs against the budget.
- Foster CI culture: Develop a CI culture and agile mindset, enable a sustainable learning organization. Develop, train, and mentor others in the use of Lean tools, approaches, and techniques. Provide leaders and stakeholders with guidance to handle difficult and complex problems.
- Lead the development and implementation of a “best-in-class” continuous improvement strategy optimizing the “Business of BTS”:
- Generate and implement strategies for enhancing operational efficiency and excellence for BTS.
- Develop plans that drive tangible cost and cycle time reduction through sustainable and continuous improvement. Identify and eliminate unnecessary complexity. Employ innovation and automation strategies as applicable.
- Identify and prioritize where continuous improvement can be applied.
- Work cross functionally across the BTS organization including both leadership and working team stakeholders to align and achieve improvement outcomes. Communicate status of process improvements regularly to all stakeholders.
- Act as a change agent within the organization. Identify bottlenecks and constraints within the organization and eliminate barriers.
- Regulatory Compliance Responsibilities: Protect our brand and reputation by safeguarding our assets and maintaining compliance with all governing policies; assure all relevant internal financial, data privacy and security policies are met.
- Industry Leadership Responsibilities: Build and maintain relationships with IT industry relevant firms, Pharma companies, other peer companies, and solution and service providers that will help ensure overall best in class continuous improvement for the organization
- Bachelor's Degree with 10 years’ experience; Master's Degree with 9 years’ experience; PhD with 5 years’ experience.
- Minimum 7+ years proven continuous improvement analytical experience from a similar role, including project management and business analysis.
- Ability to communicate problems in terms that are understandable to Executive Management and stakeholders across all levels
- Proven ability to drive outstanding performance and gain commitment through developing, coaching, motivating, energizing and inspiring team members
- Minimum 10 years of demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams and staff across all levels on an organization including vendors and service providers.
- Proven proficiency setting and leading enterprise culture change to a CI mindset along with the ability to influence organizational stakeholders and leaders often in the absence of a direct reporting relationship.
- Excellent understanding of continuous improvement concepts including Six Sigma, Agile, Lean, value stream mapping. Ability to lead service improvement sessions with a range of business stakeholders (incl. Experience of process/value stream mapping) and mentor teams as needed.
- Experience with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies and corresponding IT operating models including Waterfall, DevOps, and Product models.
- Preferred: Knowledge of Pharmaceutical industry.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert