Assistant Medical Lab Technician (Clinical Pathology)
- Southern Research
- Birmingham, AL
- Start date
- Mar 5, 2023
- Clinical, Clinical Research, Science/R&D, Laboratory
- Required Education
- Associate Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
ASSISTANT MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN (CLINICAL PATHOLOGY)
This position is responsible for providing general research support in the clinical pathology laboratory. The Associate Medical Lab Technician, Clinical Pathology must have a demonstrated understanding of scientific research and methods, proficiency in a limited set of laboratory techniques, and proven ability to work well within a team. This position will report directly to the Supervisor Clinical Pathology.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Observes and executes activities consistent with study protocols, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or Laboratory Methods, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety and health practices.
- Conducts work in the biosafety level laboratories 1, 2, and 3 (BSL-1, 2 & 3) as required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic study design and execution.
- Executes key activities on a study following appropriate procedures.
- Performs automated and manual hematological assays, clinical chemistry assays, urinalysis assays and coagulation analyses.
- Performs automated and spectrophotometric clinical chemistry analyses, and automated complete blood cell counts, manual leukocyte differentials, cellular morphology evaluations, manual mRBC counts and any associated use of laboratory information system software and other laboratory computer programs.
- Performs record keeping duties associated with reagents, equipment, quality control materials and data review.
- Performs analysis of reagent strips, microscopic urine and any associated use of laboratory information system software and other laboratory computer programs
- Performs miscellaneous clinical pathology techniques.
- Performs work associated with validation of assays and equipment.
- Performs data entry or record keeping associated with the performance of assays.
- Prepares reagents, blood smears, and micronuclei slides.
- Determines manual hematocrit.
- Stains blood or bone marrow smears.
- Processes serum and plasma samples.
- Labels, coverslips, and boxes slides.
- Reviews gross urinalysis.
- Reviews and suggests revisions to SOP or laboratory processes.
- Communicates laboratory information, equipment problems, reagent problems and quality control problems to the laboratory supervisor.
- Participates in CAP proficiency surveys in hematology, coagulation, clinical chemistry, urinalysis, and other assays.
- Participates in any in-house training/education sessions required by laboratory management.
- Maintains laboratory area and equipment, and performs any necessary troubleshooting.
- Maintains sufficient laboratory supplies to conduct laboratory work.
- Trains less experienced laboratory staff with a technique or analyzer.
- Performs other duties as may be required by supervisor.
- Associate degree in Applied Science or Science plus at least 1 y ear of experience as a medical laboratory technician in an area applicable to Southern Research laboratory work.
- Completion of an NAACLS or ABHES ACCREDITED Medical Laboratory Technician program.
- Training and experience in a GLP, GMP, or clinical analytical laboratory.
- Must be able to work in BSL-2 and 3 laboratory environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of standard scientific principles, theories, and concepts.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Able to work overtime when necessary.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Word, Excel).
Work Environment & Conditions
This position works in a BSL-2/3 laboratory environment and requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including (but not limited to):
- Eye protection (safety glasses and full-face shield)
- Close toed shoes
- Respirator (varies based on tasks and barrier requirements)
- Tyvek/scrub suits
- Nitrile and latex gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Hearing protection (varies based on tasks)
Immunizations are required for this position and are determined by the study/agent. Some examples include Tetanus, Hepatitis B, Smallpox, Polio, and Influenza.
This position requires significant physical abilities including (but not limited to):
- Standing, walking, or climbing for extended periods of time.
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects (sometimes in excess of 50lbs.)
- Perform repetitive and strenuous activities that require standing or stooping/crouching by bending at waist or legs.
- Clear vision with corrective lenses at 20 feet or more and ability to determine colors (no color blindness).
- Fine motor skills and manual dexterity.
- Withstanding exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- Wearing a respirator for extended periods of time (BSL-3 environment).
- Medical evaluation and/or vaccinations/immunizations may be required.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations
- MLT, ASCP or AMT registration or registration with an equivalent national certifying agency.
MOVING SCIENCE. Our experts turn what couldn't be done into what we can't live without. By translating research into innovation, we act as catalysts that save lives and cultivate Birmingham's biotech scene. We are conduits between Science and Society. With precision, we transform ideas into discoveries. We see possibilities before they exist and activate scientific progress that is purposeful. We move science, because the promise of a brighter future moves us. We work with more than 150 industry and academic partners to drive scientific discoveries. From drug discovery to development, to carbon capture and environmental health sciences, every layer of our scientific and professional teams serve a fundamental role in moving science. We're making Birmingham the biotech hub of the southeast. Coming in 2024, our new biotech center will feature 60,000 sq. ft. of commercial wet labs, A/BSL-3 space and data science facilities. Our team will grow 125 scientific jobs and help shape the future of biotech in Alabama. We're investing in renovations of 40,000 sq. ft. of facilities including vivarium space and launching a new clinical diagnostics lab.
- (205) 581-2000
2000 9th Avenue South
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert