Patent Attorney #2853
- GRAIL, LLC
- Menlo Park, CA
- Start date
- Mar 5, 2023
- Regulatory, Legal/Compliance
- Required Education
- Associate Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay, Best Places to Work
GRAIL’s Legal Department is seeking a dynamic and collaborative Patent Counsel to join the Intellectual Property practice team, supporting GRAIL’s patent, trademark, and trade secret portfolio development. This role will focus on patent preparation and prosecution for bioinformatics, life science, and computer science inventions. This role requires the ability to work independently to help lead and proliferate a complex bioinformatics patent portfolio. A key responsibility will be to work closely with bioinformatics scientists to develop technically complex cancer diagnostic patent filings.
Strong preference for local bay area candidates with the ability to work in a hybrid model.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a global intellectual property strategy in line with GRAIL’s business goals
- Collaborate with research and product development teams to identify and collect high value innovation
- Lead internal and external resources for the preparation, filing, prosecution, strategy and management of U.S. and international patent, trademark, and trade secret portfolios
- Conduct searches and analyze patent documents and scientific literature
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property and product offerings
- Present IP analysis and counsel to executive leaders and key business stakeholders
- Draft patent applications and office action responses as needed
Your background should include:
- A US based Law degree from accredited law school
- Technical background preferred in bioinformatics, computational biology, life science, computer science, and machine learning (ideally, experience in life science bioinformatics with complex computer science and algorithm experience)
- Experience in cancer diagnostic technologies preferred
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- At least 4+ years of experience in patent prosecution with prior in-house experience preferred
- Advanced technical degree preferred in a computer/math/engineering-related discipline, machine-learning or life science with emphasis in bioinformatics
- Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, post-grant proceedings, and European opposition proceedings a plus
- Ability to set priorities and work under pressure to meet time deadlines is required and to flexibly change priorities as needed
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects
The expected, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $154K Min - $213K. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.
Following extensive monitoring, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL US has made the decision to require that all U.S. employees be “Fully Vaccinated” with the COVID-19 vaccine. “Fully Vaccinated” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine (e.g. Johnson & Johnson) has been administered. Absent a qualifying exemption, all GRAIL US employees are to comply with this requirement, including providing documentation of such vaccination status, as a condition of employment. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration by GRAIL.
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
CEO: Bob Ragusa
1525 O'Brien Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert