Senior Counsel, Commercial Transactions
- Lake County, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 4, 2023
- Regulatory, Legal/Compliance
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
This Senior Counsel will become a key partner to support our growing transactional and procurement legal needs within AbbVie’s Aesthetics and Commercial teams. The Senior Counsel will join a team of experienced attorneys and paralegals and will provide valuable legal support in negotiating complex agreements for the purchase of goods, services, media/advertising, and emerging technologies. In this role, the Senior Counsel will be expected to interact regularly and effectively with procurement professionals, internal business stakeholders, and suppliers. They must be creative, strategic, and innovative while handling a high volume of matters and be focused on bringing those matters to a timely conclusion.
This role can be based in AbbVie's IL HQ, South San Francisco or Irvine offices and operates in a hybrid capacity - 3 days onsite + 2 days remote.
Primary Job Function:
- Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and negotiating complex commercial agreements and providing counsel in various substantive areas of commercial law, including advertising and media purchases (including digital and social media), Information Technology, market research, professional services and consulting, talent, sponsorships, influencers, compliance, privacy, licensing, and healthcare.
- Responsible for managing and providing legal support and counsel on a variety of commercial business transactions and supplier issues for the Aesthetics, Commercial, and other procurement teams.
- Responsible for effectively managing dedicated paralegal, external counsel, and contract attorney activity.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
The Senior Counsel independently:
- Takes ownership of matters and projects.
- Identifies legal issues for assigned matters and resolves those matters in a timely and practical manner.
- Assists other attorneys and stakeholders in resolving legal issues on cross-functional projects.
- Develops knowledge of AbbVie’s business and client concerns.
- Keeps abreast of changes in the law.
- Represents AbbVie externally to customers, suppliers, and competitors.
- Resolves legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise.
- Helps select and direct work of outside counsel.
- Manages and mentors less experienced attorneys and paralegals.
- Candidates must possess JD degree and state bar certification.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in corporate or general transactional law or litigation with a contracts background, and with a record of demonstrated success in negotiating complex commercial agreements and counseling clients on a wide range of commercial business issues.
- An understanding of legal issues related to procurement, advertising, media buys, consulting, IT, outsourcing, compliance, IP and the health care industry are beneficial.
- The successful candidate will have strong legal, analytical, problem-solving, decision-making, innovation, risk assessment, drafting, negotiating, and client communication skills.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert