Vice President (VP), Research
- Annexon, Inc.
- Brisbane, CA
- Start date
- Mar 4, 2023
- Regulatory, Research/Documentation, Science/R&D, Research
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Annexon Biosciences is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company pioneering the development of a new class of medicines for patients with classical complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative, and ophthalmic disorders. The company’s pipeline is based on its platform technologies addressing a broad spectrum of well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. Annexon is advancing a portfolio of innovative product candidates designed to block the activity of C1q and the entire classical complement pathway. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, unbiased biomarker-driven strategy designed to improve the probability of technical success of its portfolio and striving to deliver precision medicine to patients with classical complement driven diseases in the body, brain and eye.
Vice President (VP), Research
Annexon Biosciences is a research-driven, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing a pipeline of novel therapies for patients with classical complement-mediated disorders of the body, brain and eye. The Company’s pipeline is based on its platform technology addressing well-researched classical complement-mediated autoimmune and neurodegenerative disease processes, both of which are triggered by aberrant activation of C1q, the initiating molecule of the classical complement pathway. The pipeline includes ANX005, a full-length monoclonal antibody formulated for intravenous administration in autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders and ANX007, a monoclonal antibody antigen-binding fragment (Fab) formulated for intravitreal administration for the treatment of neurodegenerative ophthalmic disorders. The company is also focused on autoimmune indications based on ANX1502, a potential first-in-class oral small molecule inhibitor of the classical complement pathway. Based on learnings from its initial trials, Annexon is advancing its current programs while evaluating additional orphan and large market indications and developing innovative follow-on molecules. Annexon is deploying a disciplined, biomarker-driven development strategy to enable mechanistically-defined target modulation at a well-tolerated therapeutic dose in the intended patient tissue.
Annexon Bioscience is seeking a highly motivated Vice President of Research to lead Annexon’s research organization. The selected individual will provide leadership across discovery, preclinical and clinical research. The selected individual will be a member of the senior leadership team and contribute to pipeline prioritization, planning, strategy and implementation of research and discovery plans to the board of directors and key stakeholders.
- Work with the Executive Team to establish Annexon’s strategic research plan, supporting the company’s portfolio of existing programs and new initiatives in complement biology.
- Lead Research initiatives involving in vitro and in vivo pharmacology and collaborate with Translational Medicine to develop and evaluate clinical and preclinical biomarkers for precision medicine applications.
- Oversee external preclinical scientific collaborations in pursuit of new disease indications and target opportunities.
- Plan, develop, and prioritize Research efforts and ensure internal & external resources are effectively allocated, in alignment with Annexon’s overall objectives.
- Through strong interpersonal and presentation skills, good judgment, and ability to communicate with a diverse range of individuals, must be persuasive, able to build strong relationships and to distill complex information into a simple message for presenting to audiences of peers.
- Provide scientific guidance to the Research group; recruit, develop and retain key talent, while fostering and promoting a culture of research excellence and integrity.
- Understand and embrace Annexon’s values.
- PhD or MD-PhD degree in Immunology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry, or related field.
- Minimum 15 years industry experience in biotech/pharma, with specific experience in immunology and neuroinflammation. Rare disease experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated contributions to antibody and small molecule therapeutics through early discovery, research, and development.
- Relevant industry experience in leading therapeutic projects, managing and mentoring scientists, and establishing a track record of senior scientific leadership.
- Experience engaging scientific and medical leaders to obtain critical insights into molecular and therapeutic elements of target biology in order to shorten the time to clinical proof-of-concept.
- Ability to interact constructively with executive leadership, cross functional team members, partners and vendors.
- Comfortable with a hands-on approach to problem-solving in a fast-paced and dynamic small-company entrepreneurial environment.
Annexon Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Employment is conditioned upon full vaccination against the Covid-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. You will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon hire. The Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Annexon Bio does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to Annexon Bio or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by the HR Team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of Annexon Bio, and Annexon Bio will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.
We’re passionate about bringing game-changing therapies to patients suffering from serious complement-mediated autoimmune, neurodegenerative and ophthalmic disorders.
CSO, Larry Mattheakis, Ph.D
CFO, Jennifer Lew
Company Ownership: Public
Stock Symbol: ANNX
Stock Exchange: NASDAQ
1400 Sierra Point Parkway
Building C, 2nd Floor
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert