We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The Associate Scientist position is involved in the development of cell lines and optimization of cell line production processes. These cell lines may be eukaryotic or microbial in nature for the purposes of protein expression or viral propagation.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Member of a Drug Substance Development and Cell Line Development Team for the development and optimization of biological production processes
• Cultures cells
• Operates bioreactors from 250 mL to 10 L scale
• Documents experiments, key activities, and results according to Good Documentation Practices and company policies
• Assists in the preparation of batch records, presentations, and reports that may be shared with clients
• Contributes to routine laboratory maintenance
• Works closely in collaboration with other associated functional groups
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• B.S. in a scientific discipline (Microbiology, Microbial/Mammalian Cell Physiology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Biochemical Engineering or related discipline) with 0-2 years of experience
• Good understanding of aseptic transfer and handling techniques is a plus
• Experience in eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell culture is a plus
• Hands-on experience with batch and fed-batch fermentation processes and operation of bioreactors (10-50 L scale) is a plus; experience and/or working knowledge of recovery equipment (centrifugation, microfiltration and ultrafiltration) is a plus
• Excellent communication skills (oral/written and listening), with the ability to collaborate with colleagues in a cross-functional, fast paced team environment, is required
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.