Director, Trade & Distribution
- Emergent BioSolutions
- Baltimore (Bayview), MD
- Start date
- Mar 3, 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Supply Chain
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Director, Trade and Distribution (T&D) reports directly to the Senior Director of Trade and Distribution. The position combines multiple attributes such as business development, account management and trade operations. The successful candidate acts as the single point of contact, to develop and maintain relationships with their assigned retail, wholesaler and distributor accounts, and help monitor and measure performance of Emergent’s distribution networks against appropriate metrics and KPIs (key performance indicators).
S/he will drive collaboration across Commercial, Legal, Supply Chain, Government Affairs, and Medical Affairs to successfully grow sales of Emergent products in assigned accounts. Success will be accomplished through strong partnerships with a variety of customers including Executive and Senior leadership in Retail Pharmacy, Wholesalers, Distributors, and Strategic Accounts that span both the Commercial and Public Interest sides of the business. S/he will serve as an internal/external point-of-contact for relevant business issues, questions or other matters related to assigned accounts.
This Director, Trade and Distribution also will possess strong analytical and strategic planning skills. S/he, in conjunction with the Sr. Director, will develop long-term strategic plans, including setting performance goals and budget; tracking and reporting performance over time, including providing routine and ad hoc analyses to keep key internal partners and stakeholders abreast of distribution trends.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a high degree of impact and influence, critical thinking, and excellent communication and presentation skills. This individual must possess the ability to navigate, influence, negotiate and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the healthcare landscape and the impact on the organization’s business. S/he must be comfortable with ambiguity and have an adaptive and solution-oriented mindset. The position can be onsite in Plymouth Meeting, PA or field-based.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Implement Trade and Distribution Channel Strategy within assigned accounts
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of the account to deliver a solutions-based value proposition
- Develop and implement comprehensive account strategies that align with commercial objectives and incorporates all commercial functions (e.g., marketing, finance, market access, etc.)
- Advance innovative purchasing agreements and education initiatives
- Develop new channels and partners to support new product launches
- Monitor account sales trends on an ongoing basis to assess progress, altering strategy and tactics accordingly
- Attend outside meetings or events, as appropriate, to stay abreast of national, local and/or regional changes, trends of other activities that may impact channel and account strategy
- Contribute to the development of creative and compliant solutions to address trade channel challenges across various stakeholders (e.g., distributors, wholesalers, pharmacies)
- Collaborate with Field Directors and Customer Operations on Public Interest-driven initiatives to drive growth in key target states
- Manage external vendors as necessary (e.g., IntegriChain, consultant groups) and resulting data analysis
- Execute Contracting Agreements within assigned accounts
- Lead an internal cross-functional team to develop/revise, negotiate and execute wholesaler, pharmacy, and distribution contracts consistent with overarching T&D strategy
- Lead onboarding, integration, and execution with new channel customers
- Partner with Customer Operations to support any T&D 3PL requirements including those to ensure launch-redness for future new products
- Represent and Integrate Trade Operations into Cross-functional teams
- Work effectively with internal stakeholders, such as Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Quality, IT, Legal, and Finance, to ensure success of T&D channel and T&D operations
- Work closely with the Finance team to track costs and forecast operational expenses.
- Work closely with Regulatory, Legal and other partners/stakeholders to ensure fully compliant practices, policies & procedures
- Clearly communicate the progress of weekly/monthly/quarterly initiatives to Sr. Director; perform quarterly business reviews
- In conjunction with the Sr. Director, work closely with key internal stakeholders to ensure appropriate T&D inputs into P&L and gross to net calculation
- Maintain timely and effective communications on key trends and high-level performance of the distribution networks
- Lead or participate in initiatives from very small to large-scale, highly complex company critical projects
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management
- Ensure the culture and values of Emergent Devices are upheld within your team environment and when interacting with our customers
Education, Experience, & Skills
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline plus 5 years of direct, related experience
- Experience in customer account management, inventory control compliance, contracting and rebating, and commercial strategic planning
- Demonstrated success establishing distribution contracts with pharmacy and distribution providers
- Demonstrated strong understanding of the market impacting Emergent’s products
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical agility with the ability to understand complex business issues and opportunities
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a proven record of delivering results
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to effectively build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders and clearly articulate the company’s vision and mission
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to present and articulate effectively to individuals on all levels
- High accountability for their actions, results, and ability to ensure an elevated level of commitment to the success of the organization, peers, and customers
- Highly developed organizational and planning skills
- Extensive travel may be required, including overnights
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to be a motivated self-starter, capable of independent action and business savvy
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert