Scientist I, Bioreactor Process Design
- Just - Evotec Biologics
- Seattle, WA
- Start date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Engineering, Manufacturing & Production, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
Just – Evotec Biologics’ Bioreactor Process Development group is seeking an enthusiastic and hardworking team member who is passionate about expanding worldwide access to biotherapeutics through the advancement of continuous bioprocessing technology and mammalian cell culture processes. This person will join a fast-paced, collaborative, and multidisciplinary team that performs bioreactor process development at the bench scale for the advancement of low-cost biotherapeutics manufacturing technology. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and efficient in completing hands-on laboratory tasks. Strong written and verbal communication skills, and experience with common software packages (such as Microsoft Office) are desired. The ideal candidate is curious, creative, engaged, and works well independently and in teams while constantly looking for ways to advance scientific processes, streamline workflows, and improve technology.
- Design, execute, and analyze statistically designed experiments (DOE) independently or with minimal supervision
- Serve as upstream lead for internal and external process development projects
- Communicate experimental plans and data to stakeholders clearly and effectively
- Prepare and run bench-scale bioreactors. Perform run preparation and inoculation activities, daily sampling with analytics, cleaning, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Perform cell culture work in an aseptic hood
- Build and autoclave tubing and filter assemblies, assist with media and buffer preparation when needed, and maintain a clean and organized lab space
- Author SOPs, reports, and slides which summarize, organize, and interpret experiment results with review by a supervisor and appropriate team members
- Train, mentor, and supervise junior staff and/or interns
- Work with vendors and manufacturers in developing, ordering, and troubleshooting equipment prototypes
- Potential for weekend work (5-day work week/ 2 consecutive days off) and being on-call for critical bioreactor runs
- BS in Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field and 5-7 years industry experience or PhD with 0-2 years industry experience
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) level understanding of cell biology, bioreactor control systems, software, and analytical equipment as well as maintaining and troubleshooting instruments. Perfusion experience is preferred. Some experience in other functional areas (purification and analytical sciences) is also preferred.
- Experience with DOE and statistical analysis, experience analyzing data in tools such as JMP, R, or Python
- Excellent attention to detail and focused when completing technical tasks
- Enthusiastic problem-solver
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to make and follow through on goals
- Action-oriented, flexible, and eager to learn and grow skill sets
- Able to stay organized and relaxed in complex situations, keep track of multiple tasks and data
- Experience with Microsoft Office apps (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally respond in-person to alarms during off-hours
About Just – Evotec Biologics
Just – Evotec Biologics, wholly-owned by Evotec SE, is a unique platform company that integrates the design, engineering, development, and manufacture of biologics. With deep experience in the fields of protein, process and manufacturing sciences, the Just team came together to solve the scientific and technical hurdles that block access to life-changing protein therapeutics; from the design of therapeutic molecules to the design of the manufacturing plants used to produce them. Just's focus is to create access and value for a global market through scientific and technological innovation. Our state-of-the-art labs and cGMP clinical manufacturing plant are co-located in Seattle's South Lake Union neighborhood - the center of Seattle's medical, global health, and technology industries and a noted top emerging life science hub in the U.S. Our fast-growing team of 330+ employees is expanding Just's innovative platform and footprint – from our first J.POD® commercial manufacturing facility in Redmond, Washington, to our next expansion in Toulouse, France. For job opportunities, learn more at https://just-evotecbiologics.com/careers/
The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be $80,000 to $105,000; Base salary offered may vary depending on individual’s skills, experience and competitive market value. Additional total rewards include discretionary annual bonus, comprehensive benefits to include Medical, Dental and Vision and 401k company match, flexible paid time off and paid holiday, wellness and transportation benefits.
Evotec (US) Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, age, disability, genetic information, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Just - Evotec Biologics, is a unique platform company that integrates the design, engineering, development, and manufacture of biologics. With deep experience in the fields of protein, process and manufacturing sciences, the Just team came together to solve the scientific and technical hurdles that block access to life-changing protein therapeutics; from the design of therapeutic molecules to the design of the manufacturing plants used to produce them. Our focus is to create access and value for a global market through scientific and technological innovation. Learn more at www.just.bio.
401 Terry Avenue North
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert