Metabolomics Research Associate/Research Scientist- Jain Lab
- Gladstone Institutes
- San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Regulatory, Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Laboratory
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Gladstone Institutes is seeking a talented and motivated scientist to direct the Gladstone Metabolomics Platform. The successful candidate will work closely and collaboratively with Gladstone scientists on a range of research projects employing targeted and untargeted metabolomics and lipidomics, as well as introducing cutting edge analytical and mass-spec techniques to propel science at the Gladstone. The successful candidate will be responsible for training and interacting with individual lab members. They will be actively engaged in experimental design, analysis, manuscript preparation and grant writing. They will have access to resources to set-up and maintain a state-of-the-art metabolomics platform (with full-time access to a Thermo Exploris 240). They will be interacting closely with the Gladstone Mass Spec Center.
Serve as the lead on multiple projects using metabolomics and lipidomics to solve exciting problems related to human health, metabolism and physiology
Manage and improve metabolomics and lipidomics platforms and associated data analysis pipelines
Ensure rigorous analysis and high-quality data acquisition to drive research projects to completion
Develop recommendations about instrumentation purchase/maintenance, data infrastructure, project goals etc.
PhD in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry or related field with experience in metabolomics (and ideally, lipidomics)
Experience in metabolomics method development and mass spectrometry data interpretation (e.g. identification and follow-up of unknown peaks)
Familiarity with high-resolution mass spec machines and techniques (e.g. Thermo platform)
Ability to develop custom metabolite extraction methods, chromatography conditions, etc. for relative and absolute quantification of metabolites
Expertise preparing tissue, cell, plasma or spent media samples for metabolomics experiments to ensure reproducibility and accurate representation of cellular metabolism (metabolism quenching, redox-specific preparations, homogenization, cell lysis, etc).
Expertise in multivariate statistical data analysis that includes understanding of statistical error (FDR, power analysis etc), and practical application areas and limitations of common statistical and visualization methods, some experience with R or Python is desired.
Experience and desire to develop and teach research staff in best practices
Experience working in large teams and communicating with people who have little or no knowledge of mass spectrometry and metabolomics.
Hiring range (DOE):
$52K - $104K
- Title and salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
- Gladstone is an equal opportunity employer.
Gladstone is an independent, nonprofit life science research organization located in the epicenter of biomedical and technological innovation in the San Francisco Bay Area. Gladstone has created a research model that disrupts how science is done, funds big ideas, and attracts the brightest minds. Gladstone Institutes leads the way for innovative research in the biomedical field. We always seek dedicated and talented individuals to join our team.
Scientists know that using a diversity of approaches is often the most efficient strategy for solving a problem. New and different perspectives engender the very innovation that Gladstone prizes. This is one of the many reasons why we value diversity at Gladstone—be that a diversity of race, culture, religion, mental or physical ability, heritage, age, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Our employees hail from more than 30 countries around the globe and we seek to hire the best and brightest for our diverse team of scientists and administrators. Career opportunities are available in both our administrative offices and our research areas.
Gladstone offers eligible employees—and their dependents—a comprehensive range of benefits, including health insurance, retirement savings, and professional development.
- Health and Retirement
- A choice of medical plans, flexible spending account, and retirement account options that include employer contributions help you take care of your health and your future.
- Time Away from Work
- More than just vacation days, our paid and unpaid leave policies offer flexibility to help you confront different stages of life including maternity and paternity leave, as well as other types of family leave.
- Professional Development
- Gladstone encourages employees to seek the skills they need to remain at the forefront of their profession. By supporting professional development workshops and continuing education, Gladstone provides employees with the resources they need to evolve in their role and in their career.
- Gladstone Cares
- A specially selected suite of benefits to support you in and out of the workplace. Includes resources for dealing with the many stages of life to specific coverage for family planning, and back-up child or elder care coverage.
1650 Owens Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert