Research Principal Scientist, Inflammation Discovery Research
- San Diego, CA
- Start date
- Feb 28, 2023
- Regulatory, Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Research
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Best Places to Work
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a Research Principal Scientist, Inflammation Discovery Research where you will direct a small team of internal and external (e.g. CRO) in vitro immunology/pharmacology scientists to obtain data to support TYK2 inhibition for multiple disease indications (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, lupus, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, etc).
You will also help build an industry-leading portfolio based on the established strategy through project team leadership, including independent design and implementation of discovery immunology and preclinical pharmacology research. As part of the Inflammation Discovery Research team, you will report to the Senior Director of the team and work with Gastroenterology Drug Discovery Unit (GI DDU).How you will contribute:
- Design and execution of discovery immunology and in vitro preclinical pharmacology study of TYK2 inhibition for multiple disease indications, through direct project champion roles and management of junior in vitro pharmacology staff.
- Evaluation, establishment, and integration of external programs and academic collaborations into the Inflammation portfolio, following established strategic focus areas.
- Matrix with other parts of the Takeda drug discovery organization including chemistry, DMPK, safety, translational, biomarker, and clinical development to advance pipeline programs.
- Play a role in the evaluation of potential drug candidates for the in-licensing opportunity in autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, especially in IBD.
- Provide significant input into department strategy including areas of scientific focus, partnerships, and collaborations.
- Help manage resourcing and budget planning for pipeline programs.
- Contribute to the preparation/editing/review of documents for regulatory submission (i.e., study reports, IBs, INDs).
- Ph.D. degree in a scientific discipline with 6+ years of experience.
- MS with 12+ years of experience.
- BS with 14+ years of experience.
- Outstanding expertise and in-depth knowledge in formulating a therapeutic hypothesis, identifying gaps, and advancing drug discovery programs in immunology or immunology-adjacent disease areas e.g., gastroenterology (IBD), rheumatology (lupus, psoriatic arthritis), and dermatology (psoriasis).
- Demonstrated excellence in design, execution, and analysis of standard and novel in vitro pharmacology, immunology, cell biology and molecular biology, and biochemistry assays e.g., primary cell culture, ELISA, cell signaling, flow-cytometry, quantitative PCR, immune cell activation, differentiation and proliferation, cell and molecular imaging, etc.
- Keep up with the up-to-date scientific advancement in the academic and biotech arenas e.g. competitive landscape, new technology, new research portfolio, and new partnerships.
- Demonstrate well-developed knowledge of other disciplines/departments and how they function together in a matrixed drug discovery organization.
- Demonstrate effective project management and communication skills.
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and a company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best-in-class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
Base Salary Range: $143,500 to $205,000, based on the candidate's professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short-term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program, and Paid Volunteer Time Off. The final salary offered for this position may take into account a number of factors including, but not limited to, location, skills, education, and experience.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.LocationsSan Diego, CAWorker TypeEmployeeWorker Sub-TypeRegularTime TypeFull time
Takeda is a global, values-based, R&D-driven biopharmaceutical leader headquartered in Japan, committed to discover and deliver life-transforming treatments, guided by our commitment to patients, our people and the planet. Takeda focuses its R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas: Oncology, Rare Genetics and Hematology, Neuroscience, and Gastroenterology (GI). We also make targeted R&D investments in Plasma-Derived Therapies and Vaccines. We are focusing on developing highly innovative medicines that contribute to making a difference in people’s lives by advancing the frontier of new treatment options and leveraging our enhanced collaborative R&D engine and capabilities to create a robust, modality-diverse pipeline. Our employees are committed to improving quality of life for patients and to working with our partners in health care in approximately 80 countries and regions.
For more information, visit https://www.takeda.com.
Stock Symbol: TAK
650 East Kendall Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert