Associate Scientist I
- Emergent BioSolutions
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Start date
- Feb 25, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The Associate Scientist will be a member of Analytical Development (AD) department within Development Services performing analysis in support of routine sample testing, method development, method technology transfer and method validation.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Responsibilities will include:
• Assist with new assay development following instructions and protocols provided by more tenured scientists within AD
• Perform analytical testing using SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, fluorescent, visible and UV based spectrophotometric methods, impurity assays (such as host cell protein ELISA and host cell DNA quantitation), protein quantitation assays, molecular biology assays (such as qPCR and RT-qPCR), and HPLC/UPLC assays following established departmental Standard Operating Procedures and Test Methods
• Execute cell-based bioassays, such as TNA, TCID50, plaque assay and infectious unit assays following established departmental Standard Operating Procedures and Test Methods
• Summarize and analyze test results
• Execute experiments for technology transfer and method validation
Additional responsibilities will be:
• Assist with lab organization and maintenance
• Actively participate in 6S activities
• Analyze data using appropriate software
• Utilize a sample submission database to report test results
• Maintain a laboratory notebook and other relevant documentation
• Assist with preparation and/or review of work-related documents (protocols, reports, SOPs and test methods)
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• BS degree with 3-5 years’ experience or MS degree with 1-3 years’ experience in biology, chemistry, biochemistry or equivalent.
• Experience with testing support in a fast-paced environment is desired.
• Experience with documentation in a GMP environment is desired.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert