Director of CNS/Neuromuscular Disorders - Gene Editing
- Mammoth Biosciences
- Brisbane, CA
- Start date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Clinical, Medical Writing, Science/R&D, Genetics
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay, Best Places to Work
As Director, CNS/Neuromuscular Disorders - Gene Editing, you will be leading our preclinical gene editing projects in the rare CNS and neuromuscular disease space. In this role, you and your team will be advancing optimized candidates from early development to in vivo models and towards clinical studies. In addition, you will be interacting with Early Research, Screening and Assay Development, Viral Delivery, Non-Viral Delivery, mRNA Technologies, Gene Specificity, and in vivo Pharmacology teams as you lead the team to generate data on for efficacy, safety and mechanism of action of our novel therapeutic candidates.
- Manage a diverse team of scientists applying our genome editing platform to address disease in the CNS and neuromuscular space
- Execute preclinical in vitro experiments to support optimization and drug product development, and employ relevant rodent or non-human primate models to characterize gene editing candidates
- Lead multiple rare genetic CNS and neuromuscular disease projects teams from proof-of-concept to development candidates
- Supervise the development of in vitro and in vivo functional assays to assess the deliver, safety and efficacy of our therapeutics
- Present data to management, cross-functional project teams, and external partners
- Propose and integrate methodologies, technologies, and hypotheses to advance the projects and deliver high-quality data
- PhD in a life sciences discipline and 10 years of industry experience
- Experience with small molecule, gene therapy or nucleic acid therapy modalities for neuromuscular and/or CNS diseases
- Deep knowledge of genetic CNS and/or neuromuscular diseases and relevant in vitro and animal models of disease, including target disease validation
- Experience managing and mentoring colleagues to successfully achieve objectives under tight timelines and with changing priorities
- Familiarity with CRISPR technologies and gene therapy delivery systems (viral and non-viral)
- Experience with advanced primary in vitro cell culture systems
- Bioassay development, optimization, and validation
- Experience with supporting IND-enabling efforts and communications with regulatory agencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Salary Range: $205,200 - $262,500
The listed base salary range is for Mammoth employees in the Bay Area. Actual base salary will be determined by geographic work location, relevant professional experience, applicable skills, and internal equity. The base salary range for those working remotely outside of the San Francisco Bay Area may differ and will be determined by industry market data for the role and specific region.
Mammoth Biosciences is harnessing the diversity of life to power the next generation of CRISPR products. Through the discovery and engineering of novel CRISPR systems, the company is enabling the full potential of its platform to read and write the code of life. Mammoth aims to develop permanent genetic cures through best-in-class in vivo and ex vivo therapies and to democratize disease detection with on-demand diagnostics. Mammoth can provide enhanced diagnostics and genome editing for life science research, healthcare, agriculture, biodefense and more. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Mammoth Biosciences is co-founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel Laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington. The firm is backed by top institutional investors including Redmile Group, Foresite Capital, Senator Investment Group, Sixth Street, Decheng, Mayfield, NFX, and 8VC, along with leading individual investors including Brook Byers, Tim Cook, and Jeff Huber.
Our small-size proteins, such as Cas14 and CasPhi, are poised to transform disease treatment enabling novel editing approaches and delivery options that are difficult to achieve or not even possible with previously described CRISPR-Cas systems. Our teams are responsible for discovering and engineering novel CRISPR systems, establishing CRISPR-based diagnostics, and translating our unique CRISPR technology into therapeutic treatments with the ultimate goal of cures for indications with high medical need.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.
Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.
Mammoth Biosciences is a biotechnology company focused on leveraging its proprietary ultracompact CRISPR systems to develop long-term curative therapies, as well as other applications such as decentralized precision diagnostics. Founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington, the company’s ultracompact proteins are designed to enable in vivo gene editing in difficult to reach tissues utilizing both nuclease applications and new editing modalities beyond double stranded breaks, including base editing, gene writing, and epigenetic editing. The company is building out its pipeline of potential in vivo gene editing therapeutics and capabilities and has partnerships with leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to broaden the reach of its innovative and proprietary technology. Mammoth’s deep science and industry experience, along with a robust and differentiated intellectual property portfolio, have enabled the company to further its mission to transform the lives of patients and deliver on the full promise of CRISPR technologies.
- (650) 294-8583
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert