- Emergent BioSolutions
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Start date
- Feb 23, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The Scientist will be a member of Drug Substance Development department within Development Services. Contribute to the design of experiments for the development and optimization of downstream biological production processes. Lead the execution of the experiments. Analyze the data and author technical reports.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Responsibilities will include:
• Execution of experimental protocols for developing/optimizing downstream manufacturing processes.
• Contribute to the development of scalable downstream processes to purify recombinant proteins and recombinant viruses.
• Assist in the technology transfer of developed processes to manufacturing sites.
• Trouble-shoot and maintain purification and tangential flow filtration systems.
• Prepare Operational and Maintenance Equipment SOPs and Development Batch Records.
• Author and/or review of documentation such as Detailed Technical Plans, Technology Development Reports, and Technology Transfer Protocols.
• Train other members of the development services and manufacturing team in techniques.
Additional responsibilities will be:
• Assist with lab organization and maintenance
• Actively participate in 6S activities
• Maintain a laboratory notebook and other relevant documentation
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Leadership –Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
• Managing People – Participates in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvements; Takes responsibility for assigned activities; Develops skills and encourages growth in teammates; Fosters quality focus in others; Participates setting expectations and monitors activities; Provides recognition for results.
• Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, analyzing information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
• Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentially; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
• Business Acumen and Ownership – Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Aligns work with strategic goals; Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, engineering or related discipline with 5 plus years of related experience, MS degree with 3 plus years of related experience, or PH.D. with related experience.
- Knowledge of bioprocess unit operations specifically column packing, purification, depth filtration, and tangential flow filtration technologies required.
- Hands on experience using AKTA chromatography equipment, Tecan, and TFF systems.
- Understanding of Design of Experiments and knowledge of JMP software highly desirable.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert