Federal Sector Engagement Manager
- United States Pharmacopeia
- Rockville, MD
- Start date
- Feb 7, 2023
- Administration, General
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
Summary of the Position
USP is an independent nonprofit scientific organization that has been advancing public health and expanding access to quality medical products for 200 years. Our mission is to improve global health through public standards and related programs that help ensure the quality, safety, and benefit of medicines and foods. USPs standards are used in more than 140 countries to help define product quality globally. USP has a global presence, with 13 offices in 11 countries, as well as state-of-the-art laboratories and full-scale training facilities. Sitting at the intersection of public health, pharmaceuticals, laboratories, regulatory, and policy, USP is a top convener and thought leader on medical product quality and access and is committed to advancing global health policy. Building on our core work and close to 30 years of government contracting in the international space, and specifically for work in lower- and middle-income countries, the Manager, Strategic Engagement and Partnerships, will work with the Director for Federal Business Development and technical staff across the organization as part of a new Federal Sector Practice to capitalize on USPs work across the supply chain and reputation to generate government contracts and grants for domestic work.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Federal Business Development, within the Global Health and Manufacturing Services (GHMS) division of USP, the Managers primary role is to develop and manage USPs visibility with existing and potential partners, the US government (as a donor) and other relevant stakeholders in collaboration with new business and technical staff. The role is responsible for developing and implementing a Federal Sector engagement plan aimed at amplifying awareness of our capabilities and services in support of USPs new Federal Sector Practice objectives. Working with thought leaders across the organization, promote USPs key value and expertise in areas such as supply chain resilience, health security, health quality and safety, pandemic preparedness, modernization and innovation such as advanced manufacturing technologies, access to essential medicines and medical products. Engagement will include, but is not limited to, contributing to compelling written content for external use (including websites, social media platforms and more traditional outlets), and external representation and outreach. The position will become a content expert on all aspects of USPs work and initiatives as it relates to Federal funding and will work closely with senior leadership across the organization.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an engagement strategy aimed at amplifying awareness of our services in support of USPs new Federal Sector Practice objectives
- Develop annual workplans for engagement, including partnering and event sub-strategies that amplify USPs work in pharmaceutical supply chains and modernization efforts.
- Identify key external groups/committees USP should join and/or contribute to that would further business development goals
- Represent and/or ensure representation in key external engagement opportunities/events
- Deliver on short-term and long-term objectives that advance USPs impact and sustainability.
- Support advocacy efforts to strengthen USPs position and brand recognition with the US government in areas identified as priority, including but not limited to advanced manufacturing, data analytics, supply chain resilience (e.g., Medicine Supply Map), etc.
Message development (dotted line to the GHMS Director for External Engagement):
- Monitor external trends and stakeholder priorities and proactively drive potentially relevant thought leadership topics in collaboration with technical/ program staff.
- Serve as liaison to our Global Communications teams to develop messaging for external use with technical staff and coordinate on social media positioning
- Prepare regular communications, aligned with business development goals, to engage US government agencies and identify funding opportunities
- Prepare content including agendas, briefs, talking points and presentations for USG agency meetings and partner meetings
- Manage central repository for messaging, external documentation of program results, deliverables, reports, and other program information
- Other duties as assigned
- BA in a relevant field in public relations, public health or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience
- Proven track record of developing strong engagement strategies, preferably in support of organizational growth in the Federal Sector
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing partnerships on multi-organization deals.
- Prior experience or strong understanding of US Government agencies, including but not limited to HHS, FDA, DOD, etc.
- Excellent track record in developing/managing outreach plans, including communications with high-priority USG agencies, advocacy organizations, and partners
- Proven ability in project management and collaborating with different teams to problem solve
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Demonstrated strong writing skills
- Ability to manage shifting priorities and competing deadlines to ensure accuracy and quality standards
- Understanding of pharmaceutical manufacturing and/or supply chain is preferred but not required
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in ambiguity.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP
The following COVID-19 provisions will apply to selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Conventions (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Technical Programs
Job Type Full-Time
USP is an independent, scientific nonprofit organization focused on building trust in the supply of safe, quality medicines. We are working to strengthen the global supply chain so that the medicines people rely on for health are available when needed and work as expected. We do this through establishing public scientific standards and programs that help ensure billons of people around the world have access to safe and quality products.
USP aspires to be a diverse, inclusive, innovative, and engaging organization that empowers and engages staff and volunteers to contribute to its mission to improve global health. We are committed to creating a culture where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, family status, and where they can contribute their full potential to accomplish our mission.
At USP, you’ll join a talented and diverse team of 1,200 scientific, technical and public health professions, working in state-of-the-art facilities and collaborating with the world’s leading experts from industry, academia, healthcare, and government to address public health challenges and advance cutting-edge innovation.
Whether you’re helping to establish new USP standards, creating key resources to address emerging health issues, or providing critical technical assistance in the developing countries, you’ll be inspired by the positive impact your work has on building public trust and a healthier tomorrow.
12601 Twinbrook Parkway
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert