Safety Cabinet Test Specialist
- Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
- Frederick, MD
- Start date
- Feb 4, 2023
- Administration, Clinical, Clinical Medicine
- Required Education
- High School or equivalent
- Position Type
- Full time
Safety Cabinet Test Specialist
Job ID: req3059
Employee Type: nonexempt full-time
Division: Facilities, Maintenance & Engineering
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it's the FNL way.
The Facilities Maintenance and Engineering (FME) mission is to support the NCI at Frederick in their mission to cure cancer and AIDS. FME is responsible for the physical campus - its research laboratory space, administrative space, the infrastructure that supports the buildings, and the landscape that surrounds them. In addition, we are responsible for managing, planning, designing, and construction management of renovations at the FNLCR.
- Provide various services regarding certification, maintenance, repair, and decontamination of specific primary barrier equipment including biological safety cabinets.
- Perform a variety of tests to verify the protective effectiveness of cabinets in accordance with applicable standards.
- Perform safety cabinet decontamination processes
- Check filters for leaks
- Measure air velocity and airflow in the working aperture and inside the cabinets
- May perform ambient light tests, vibration tests, or noise level tests
- Will make recommendations for repairs
- Perform maintenance and repairs
- Issue appropriate certificates of conformity and test reports.
- This position is subject to 24-hour call in (rotating
schedule) for emergency repairs
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of five (5) years of related experience
- Knowledge of safety cabinet functionality
- Experience performing various field tests to verify air flows, HEPA filter integrity, containment of contaminated cabinet air, and test for other cabinet operational features
- Ability to identify faulty safety cabinet conditions and make appropriate repairs
- Knowledge of National Sanitation Foundation Standard/American National Standard 49 (NSF/ANSI 49), which is the accepted standard for the biological safety cabinet industry
- Must have and maintain a valid State Driver's License issued by the state in which the incumbent/candidate resides for each class of vehicle to be operated on company business
- Must have no more than 3 demerit points in the previous twelve (12) months or five (5) demerit points in the preceding thirty-six (36) months per policy
- Ability to perform physical duties including-lifting and carrying up to 50lbs
- Duties include walking, standing, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, and working in confined areas, potential exposure to particulates, vapors, or noisy environment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Ability to work independently
- Eight (8) years of related experience
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal
- This position is subject to working in or have the potential to exposure to high noise levels for
extended periods of time requiring medical clearance
- This position may require continuous or intermittent exposure to and exertion in environmental
conditions such as working outdoors, temperature extremes, humidity extremes. etc. as part of the job
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
A rewarding career with global impact
Whether you’re an expert in your field or just starting out, we have a career opportunity for you. We’re always looking for people to join us in fulfilling the mission of the Frederick National Laboratory: discovery, innovation, and success in the biomedical sciences.
Our team of 2,400+ scientists, technicians, administrators, and support staff work at the forefront of basic, translational, and preclinical science, with a focus on cancer, AIDS, and other infectious diseases.
We collaborate with colleagues across the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others throughout the National Institutes of Health. We also engage with extramural investigators in academia, government and industry.
Your path to joining our team begins with the desire to work for the only national laboratory dedicated to biomedical research. Our employees share a common desire to help make a difference in cancer research and public health concerns. As you search for a career that fits your education, skills, and abilities, explore the core values that guide us and emphasize work-life balance.
Discover why joining the Frederick National Laboratory team could be the most important career step you take
8560 Progress Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert