Organic Medicinal Chemist 1
- Southern Research
- Birmingham, AL
- Start date
- Feb 4, 2023
- Science/R&D, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
ORGANIC MEDICINAL CHEMIST 1
This position is responsible for providing synthetic chemistry support for our small molecule drug discovery projects utilizing standard laboratory techniques and methods, manipulating chemical compounds through synthetic methods, analyzing research data, providing interpretations, contributing to the development of research documentation for publications and/or providing technical reports, papers and/or records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in planning, designing and conducting chemical synthesis in a variety of research projects under the direction of a supervisor. May or may not work independently.
- Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources, background information and/or technology related to the area of specialization.
- Synthesizes organic molecules and performs experimental procedures with limited supervision.
- Contributes to publications derived from project data.
- Operates, maintains scientific equipment and learns new instrumental techniques.
- Maintains clean notebooks with detailed procedures and proper analytical data attached.
- Maintains external awareness of scientific discipline through familiarity with current scientific literature.
- Develops resolutions to an assortment of problems of moderately complex scope.
- Attends technical staff and departmental meetings.
- Observes appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Education and experience:
- BS in Chemistry or related discipline and 9 years of laboratory experience performing organic synthesis; or
- MS in Chemistry or related discipline and 6 years of laboratory experience performing organic synthesis; or
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related discipline with experience performing organic synthesis.
- Advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures and methods of analysis associated with the synthesis of new compounds.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites Products and chemical drawing programs.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to observe appropriate safety and study requirements by reading, understanding, and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Cultivating human connection – putting people first. We know that every individual makes a difference and that no one can do it alone. We believe the world's most powerful resource is human potential. We are an inclusive and courageous team where innovation and diversity of though go hand in hand. We understand that relationships move at the speed of trust.
Operating with precise execution – measuring what matters and owning results as a team. We leverage data to drive decisions that advance science. We recognize the importance of a stable foundation coupled with an agile mindset. We hold ourselves accountable and take pride in our work. We give and receive candid feedback as a gift that keeps us growing.
Harnessing relentless curiosity – our unstoppable, innovative force. We are driven to ask sharp questions and push the boundaries of knowledge. We use creativity and critical thinking as catalysts for finding solutions that change lives. We learn by doing, consistently striving to improve our relationships, training, methodologies, questions and results.
Stewarding a healthy community – implementing sustainable operations for a safe, engaging environment. We don't compromise on safety and health for our employees, customers or community. We believe a healthy community begins with inclusive economic opportunities. We respect the dignity of the patients we ultimately serve. We are motivated to serve communities that are underserved and markets that are overlooked.
Work Environment & Conditions
This position is a laboratory environment and requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including:
- Safety glasses
- Laboratory coats
- Nitrile and latex gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
MOVING SCIENCE. Our experts turn what couldn't be done into what we can't live without. By translating research into innovation, we act as catalysts that save lives and cultivate Birmingham's biotech scene. We are conduits between Science and Society. With precision, we transform ideas into discoveries. We see possibilities before they exist and activate scientific progress that is purposeful. We move science, because the promise of a brighter future moves us. We work with more than 150 industry and academic partners to drive scientific discoveries. From drug discovery to development, to carbon capture and environmental health sciences, every layer of our scientific and professional teams serve a fundamental role in moving science. We're making Birmingham the biotech hub of the southeast. Coming in 2024, our new biotech center will feature 60,000 sq. ft. of commercial wet labs, A/BSL-3 space and data science facilities. Our team will grow 125 scientific jobs and help shape the future of biotech in Alabama. We're investing in renovations of 40,000 sq. ft. of facilities including vivarium space and launching a new clinical diagnostics lab.
- (205) 581-2000
2000 9th Avenue South
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert