Supervisor of Sample Management
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Richmond, VA
- Start date
- Feb 3, 2023
- Science/R&D, Laboratory
- Required Education
- High School or equivalent
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioCapital, Best Places to Work
Title: Supervisor Sample Management
Division / Dept.: Sample Management
Note: Full time, Benefits
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll discover meaningful work that makes a positive impact on a global scale. Join our colleagues in bringing our Mission to life - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We provide our teams with the resources needed to achieve individual career goals while taking science a step beyond through research, development and delivery of life-changing therapies. With clinical trials conducted in 100+ countries and ongoing development of novel frameworks for clinical research through our PPD clinical research portfolio, our work spans laboratory, digital and decentralized clinical trial services. Your determination to deliver quality and accuracy will improve health outcomes that people and communities depend on – now and in the future.Location/Division Specific Information
Our PPD® Laboratory Services team has a direct impact on improving patient health through the expertise of scientists, industry thought-leaders and therapeutic experts. As the world leader in serving science, our laboratory professionals bring their commitment to accuracy and quality to deliver groundbreaking innovations.Discover Impactful Work:
Oversees the quality and productivity of daily operations. Interacts with internal departments and finds opportunities for process and efficiency improvements. Trains and schedules operations personnel. Prepares process documents, and acts as a back-up to management, when needed. Performs and/or delegates all activities vital to ensure sample management deliverables are met.A day in the Life:
- Creates work schedules and assignments, ensures policies and procedures are accurate, trains staff and assesses competence, participates in staff hiring, corrective action, evaluation, and career progression.
- Responsible for sample accessioning, routing, storage, shipment, de-identification, relabeling, discard, destruction, and aliquoting.
- Reviews and recommends process improvement and efficiency gains. Recommends IT enhancements. Authors, reviews, and implements procedural documents. Defines and monitors performance metrics for quality and productivity.
- Ensures that contracted maintenance and qualification of environmentally controlled units (ECU) or equipment used to prepare or store specimens is performed. Monitors ECU trending reports to prevent equipment failure, ensures proper call response process and teams are in place to respond to ECU failures after-hours.
- Investigates and resolves problems with samples or shipments and in Process Deviation Reports/CAPA. Participates in audits and general capabilities department tours. Responds to environmental unit alarms and participate in on-call responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 0 to 5 years).
- High / Secondary school diploma or equivalent and relevant formal academic / vocational qualification
- 1+ year of leadership responsibility
In some cases an equivalency, consisting of a combination of appropriate education, training and/or directly related experience, will be considered sufficient for an individual to meet the requirements of the role.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Good organizational skills with the ability to adapt and adjust to changing priorities and to handle multiple assignments with challenging/conflicting deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as presentation skills
- Competent with computers and enterprise applications
- Critical thinking skills to support quality decision making
- Proven compliance with procedures and policies
- Proven leadership abilities
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
Thermo Fisher Scientific values the health and wellbeing of our employees. We support and encourage individuals to create a healthy and balanced environment where they can thrive. Below is listed the working environment/requirements for this role:
- Able to communicate, receive, and understand information and ideas with diverse groups of people in a comprehensible and reasonable manner.
- Able to work upright and stationary and/or standing for typical working hours.
- Able to lift and move objects of 15 to 40 pounds
- Able to work in non-traditional work environments.
- Able to use and learn standard office equipment and technology with proficiency.
- May have exposure to potentially hazardous elements, including infectious agents, typically found in healthcare or laboratory environments.
- Able to perform successfully under pressure while prioritizing and handling multiple projects or activities.
- Exposure to fluctuating and/or extreme temperatures on rare occasions
Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Watch as our colleagues explain 5 reasons to work with us. As one team of 100,000+ colleagues, we share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement - working together to accelerate research, solve complex scientific challenges, drive technological innovation and support patients in need. #StartYourStory with PPD, part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, where diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives are valued.Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.Accessibility/Disability Access
Job Seekers with a Disability: Thermo Fisher Scientific offers accessibility service for job seekers requiring accommodations in the job application process. For example, this may include individuals requiring assistance because of hearing, vision, mobility, or cognitive impairments. If you are a job seeker with a disability, or assisting a person with a disability, and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone at 1-855-471-2255*. Please include your contact information and specific details about your required accommodation to support you during the job application process.
*This telephone line is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requiring accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Messages left for other purposes, such as not being able to get into the career website, following up on an application, or other non-disability related technical issues will not receive a response.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue of approximately $40 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, increasing productivity in their laboratories, improving patient health through diagnostics or the development and manufacture of life-changing therapies, we are here to support them.
Our global team delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services, Patheon and PPD.
Stock Symbol: TMO
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
168 Third Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert