Senior Vice President, External Discovery and Research
- Day One Biopharmaceuticals
- Remote - Work From Home anywhere in US
- Start date
- Jan 31, 2023
- Regulatory, Research/Documentation, Science/R&D, Research
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
Day One Biopharmaceuticals is an emerging, mission-driven, drug development company intentionally designed to identify, clinical evaluate, and successfully commercialize novel treatments for pediatric oncology patients, and ultimately to expand those benefits to patients of all ages. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.dayonebio.com.
Day One Biopharmaceuticals is seeking a creative, intelligent, deeply committed, high-integrity, senior scientific leader with a proven track record of successfully identifying, selecting, and developing novel, targeted oncology therapeutics. Key responsibilities include leading the identification, evaluation, selection, acquisition, and preclinical execution of oncology programs that have the potential to change the standard of care for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. In conjunction with senior leaders in business development and, supported by a deeply experienced cross-functional team of experts in pediatric drug development, you will be responsible for identifying and acquiring programs to grow our pipeline. You will also be responsible for overseeing the preclinical and translational success of these programs throughout the lifetime of the product. As a senior executive at Day One, your responsibilities will also include contributing to corporate strategy, driving value creation, building a sustainable culture, recruiting, and enabling company growth.
This position has the potential to be fully remote. Occasional travel will be required for in person meetings.
WHO YOU ARE:
You are a drug hunter at heart and have a track record of picking the compound that will make it to the clinic. Your superpower is prioritizing and selecting the best oncology targets and programs from the rapidly growing universe of science. Others frequently call you for your help when evaluating targets or development programs to invest in, acquire, combine with, or license. When an oncology target is mentioned, you often already know about attempts to drug it, why some have succeeded and others have not, and you have a data-driven opinion about whether that target and compound has any merit at all. You seek the diamond in the rough and a way to succeed when others have failed. You consume data about oncology drug development constantly because you love it and are always on the frontier of emerging information from others so you can learn and adapt fast. In the face of emerging data, you are open to re-evaluating older programs and assumptions. Your best days are when you find a new insight that changes your mind and opens an opportunity for a promising product to help patients in need. You understand the high degree of uncertainty in our field and are comfortable both navigating the unknowns and bringing others along with you.
You have healthy degree of skepticism and a desire to dig into the data yourself. You are comfortable making recommendations with imperfect information. Not solely dependent on process, your instinct is to just dive in, but at the same time you recognize that while we can often go faster alone, we can only go far together.
You are a leader who others love to follow because of your integrity, candor, desire to pursue truth, and high expectations. Leading by example is the only form of leadership you know. You have been a part of, and led, high performing teams of all sizes.
· Expand and augment Day One’s pipeline by finding, evaluating, and recommending programs/opportunities for Day One to in-license/acquire, or partner/combine with in order to accomplish our mission and create value for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Ideas for targets, compounds, and/or programs can be your own or others – frequently utilize your and our network(s) of advisors and experts to provide you with ideas, as well as emerging clinical and preclinical data.
o Think strategically and consider ways to add to our pipeline as well as augment it through novel combinations or novel indications/therapeutic areas. Understand and guide decisions at the intersection of R&D, corporate development, and future commercial considerations, and be able to effectively communicate this balance.
o Partner with your (and our) networks of experts as well as our internal scientific and clinical leaders, business development/search & evaluation team, and other internal teams to critically evaluate emerging data, elaborate, substantiate, and diligence therapeutic hypotheses. This job can feel like you work in a fast-paced venture capital fund combined with a creative clinical stage company.
o Rapidly evaluate and prioritize concepts raised through Day One’s internal research and external network, while being sensitive to internal focus, resources, and time. A fast ‘no’ is oftentimes necessary to keep the team focused and productive.
o Expand our network and ensure that we are up-to-date on emerging technologies, targets, and strategies for novel targeted drug development, and new partnership opportunities.
· Help Day One remain a leader in pediatric oncology drug development while also ensuring that our pipeline creates value for both patients and shareholders by identifying programs that allow for parallel development in adult indications.
· Partner with your fellow executives to ensure Day One fulfills its mission, grows into an exceptional company, and fosters a creative, fast-pasted, and fun culture as you lead by:
o Driving, but not dominating, crisp, high-level decision-making on strategic and day-to-day business issues.
o Engaging, inspiring, and successfully communicating with employees of any level in the organization.
o Understanding and embracing one of our highest values: that the most precious asset is our team.
o Proactively contributing to company-building and process evolution as we grow
· PhD or MD/PhD in chemistry, pharmacology, biology, biochemistry, or a related discipline
· A minimum of 15 years of experience in oncology drug discovery/development setting within the biopharmaceutical industry (biotech or large pharma). A background in medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, or cancer biology is required. The ideal candidate will possess a broad understanding of cancer targets and therapeutic mechanisms of action, and understands the nuances of cancer drug R&D (including the various drug discovery disciplines), from discovery through proof-of-concept, including the decision-making required to build and manage a drug development pipeline.
· Deep experience and a demonstrated track record of success in:
o Target evaluation, target validation, and the discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents
o Due-diligence evaluation of external research programs for acquisition
o Effective leadership of both projects and multi-disciplinary teams of scientists to drive preclinical drug development, including the ability to lead, influence, and coach high-performing individuals in a virtual environment
o Moving projects from target selection and validation through nomination of clinical candidates, IND-enabling work, and early clinical development
o Collaboration with partners in business development, clinical development, translational sciences, IP law, CMC/formulation, and regulatory affairs
· Pediatric oncology and rare disease drug development experience is strongly desired
· Extraordinary scientific capacity and expertise, and a demonstrated track record of value creation
· Unwavering integrity and trustworthiness, embodying Day One’s core values
· A willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and lead by example in order to deliver results. Personal accountability and motivation is a must. Driven, determined, and works well under pressure and plans personal workload effectively and able to delegate when others are qualified to share the work
· Curious, creative with an ability to think outside of traditional drug development and corporate models
· A team player and a mentor – someone who cares for their colleagues as people as well as contributors and collaborators, while delivering results
· Inspires the confidence of others, and inspires others to fulfill their potential
· Ability to thrive in a small company environment and to make clear recommendations and crisp decisions
· Eloquent and passionate when talking about science and the potential to help patients
· Keen scientific acumen and intellectual curiosity, good judgement, and the highest scientific integrity. Experience in candidate selection in discovery and due diligence/program evaluation for acquisition or financing is required.
· The ability to elicit and synthesize information from a range of individuals and sources rapidly and clearly communicate findings across the organization, to a board of directors, to potential partners, and to potential investors.
· Start-up/small biotech (< 150 people) experience is strongly preferred or a clear personality that would like to dive into working with a small team.
· A sense of humor, a keen wit, a strong sense drive, and a chronically positive attitude are always desired. Day One embraces diversity on all parameters.
· Ideally, based on the West Coast (San Francisco Bay area), but will consider qualified candidates from any US location; able to travel to San Francisco area to work in person; able up to 30% (including conferences).
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $320,000 - $365,000. Day One Bio considers a range of factors when determining base compensation. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary.
Please visit https://www.dayonebio.com/benefits to see our competitive benefits.
Day One is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Employment is conditioned upon full vaccination from the COVID-19 virus, including submission of documented proof thereof, as of the start date. Day One Biopharmaceuticals will comply with applicable law regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals who are not vaccinated because of a disability and/or sincerely held religious belief.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Day One Biopharmaceuticals does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to Day One Biopharmaceuticals or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Day One Biopharmaceutical’s internal HR team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of Day One Biopharmaceuticals, and Day One Biopharmaceuticals will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.
Day One Biopharmaceuticals understands that advances in cancer research now enable drug developers to identify children and adults who may benefit from the same medicine. We are a unique company created to find and develop new therapies that meet the critical needs of people of all ages living with cancer – starting from the biology of childhood cancer. Our distinctive approach, together with our trusted network of pediatric oncology investigators, gives us an unparalleled ability to advance promising discoveries for patients of any age. We are ready to pursue the full potential of our therapies to improve the greatest number of lives as quickly as possible.
2000 Sierra Point Parkway
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert