Head of Chemistry (South San Francisco, CA)
- Sutro Biopharma, Inc
- South San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Jan 30, 2023
- Science/R&D, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay, Best Places to Work
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for energetic and talented individuals to join its multidisciplinary research and development team. You will be working to develop new processes to maximize our technology and enhance our internal and collaborative product development initiatives in a fast-paced environment.
Sutro has a unique capability that enables new molecular entities to be designed using a hybrid of synthetic and recombinant technologies to create best in class therapeutics in the oncology and auto-immune disease space. We are now looking for a talented chemistry leader who will work alongside our industry-leading cell-free protein engineers at the forefront of rapid and precise design. Experience with small molecule medicinal chemistry leadership, synthetic peptide discovery and development and process R&D would all be of value. Prior experience in the immuno-oncology field would be useful; though not necessary.
- Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Discovery, this role will provide strategic leadership to evaluate new areas of opportunity to uniquely engage Sutro’s platform for new best in class therapeutics
- Provides operational leadership for the planning, management, and execution of new chemistry initiatives, leading our medicinal chemistry based new lead generation
- Provides leadership for the evaluation and creation of new capabilities at the interface of recombinant and synthetic design including novel conjugation technologies enabling coupling of novel non-natural amino acids to synthetic moieties
- Defines strategies for, and coordinate the execution of, process R&D to support cGMP production, investigational new drug applications, drug master files, new drug applications and equivalent international filings
- Advise project teams and collaborate cross-functionally with clinical, preclinical, pharmaceutical development, CMC, commercial and external resources to establish and facilitate global development plans
- Cultivate an open and collaborative culture
- Builds and manages relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including strategic partners and consultants
- Champions new ways of meeting targets and/or goals; anticipates and plans for future issues or problems; facilitates the rapid transfer of best practices
- Develops and maintains responsive, motivated and efficient teams to ensure results orientation and continuous improvement; develops policies and procedures as appropriate
- Manages, coaches, and mentors direct and indirect reports
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline is required, PhD required in synthetic chemistry
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or contract research organization (CRO), including significant experience in a leadership role
- Proven record of success in generating novel lead molecules with desired drug like attributes
- Experience with support of INDs , CTAs, DMFs, briefing packages, and amendments required during IND and CTA lifecycles
- Familiarity with Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Control (CMC), Pharmacovigilance and Quality, related matters and their intersection with Regulatory Affairs
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience managing, coaching and mentoring direct reports and building a chemistry group
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with internal and external stakeholders, including, cross-functional partners, consultants
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly articulate viewpoints effectively to different functions
- Successful management of projects to completion meeting budgets and timelines
- Comfortable with setting strategies as well as taking a hands-on approach to operational direction and priorities
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Sutro will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability, or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
We look forward to hearing from candidates who are interested in exploring opportunities with Sutro! Our People & Culture team/hiring managers are unable to respond and do not accept solicitations from third-party agencies.
The anticipated salary range for fully qualified candidates applying for this role at Sutro Biopharma’s California based locations will be $280,000 – $306,000 (not including bonus, equity, and benefits). The final salary offered will be dependent on several factors that include and are not limited to relevant previous experience, job responsibilities and duration of experience, the type and length of experience within the industry and education.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development, and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines, and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., headquartered in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage oncology company pioneering site-specific and novel-format antibody drug conjugates (ADCs). Sutro has two wholly owned ADCs in the clinic—STRO-002, a folate receptor alpha (FolRα)-targeting ADC, in clinical studies for ovarian and endometrial cancers; and STRO-001, a CD74-targeting ADC, in clinical studies for B-cell malignancies.
Additionally, Sutro is collaborating with Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) on CC-99712, a BCMA-targeting ADC in the clinic for patients with multiple myeloma; with Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, known as EMD Serono in the U.S. and Canada (EMD Serono), on M1231, a MUC1-EGFR bispecific ADC in clinical studies for patients with solid tumors, particularly non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma; with Merck, known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, on MK-1484, a selective IL-2 agonist in clinical studies as a monotherapy and in combination with pembrolizumab for the treatment of solid tumors; and with Astellas Pharma (Astellas) on novel modality, immunostimulatory antibody-drug conjugates (iADCs). Sutro’s platform technology also enabled the spin out of Vaxcyte (Nasdaq: PCVX) and the creation of VAX-24, a 24-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in clinical studies for the prevention of invasive pneumococcal disease. Sutro’s rational design and precise protein engineering has enabled six product candidates in the clinic.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to ADCs, bispecific antibodies, cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, and vaccines directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates. In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics.
Follow Sutro on Twitter, @Sutrobio, and at www.sutrobio.com to learn more about our passion for changing the future of oncology.
Stock Symbol: STRO
111 Oyster Point Blvd
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert