Senior Scientist - Oligonucleotide Chemistry
- Avidity Biosciences
- San Diego, California
- Start date
- Jan 25, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach
Avidity Biosciences is pioneering a new class of oligonucleotide-based therapies called AOCs designed to overcome the current limitations of oligonucleotide therapies to treat a wide range of serious diseases. We utilize our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer, and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies to access previously undruggable tissue and cell types and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. More information about Avidity Biosciences can be found on our website: www.aviditybiosciences.comJob SummaryWe are seeking a data and hypothesis driven inquisitive scientist with strong oligonucleotide design and synthesis skills. This is a full-time laboratory position, and the candidate is expected to perform independent research developing oligonucleotide therapeutics. A researcher with a proven track record in design & synthesis of complex oligonucleotides and oligonucleotide delivery is perfect for this role. The successful candidate is expected to play a key role in design, synthesis, and analysis of a variety of oligonucleotides and in developing next-generation delivery technologies. The candidate is a strong team player who participates in rigorous scientific discussions and collaborates in an interdisciplinary environment.Primary responsibilities of this position will include
- Synthesis and purification of oligonucleotides on milligram to gram scales in a timely manner
- Develop oligonucleotide synthesis and purification protocols for chemically modified oligonucleotides
- Establish analytical methods to confirm and characterize oligonucleotides
- Design and perform SAR activities on ASOs and siRNAs to improve potency, stability, and related pharmacologic properties by using chemical modifications
- Manage all the equipment necessary for oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analysis
- Effectively collaborate with internal and external partners to define and meet project goals/timelines
- Lead project teams and/or contribute to project teams to advance discovery projects through critical preclinical stage gates.
- Clearly communicate research results in both oral and written formats
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish goals under strict timelines.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry/Chemical Biology with >3 years of relevant experience with in-depth oligonucleotide chemistry
- A strong record of oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analysis of oligonucleotides
- Expertise in nucleoside chemistry, chemical modifications of oligonucleotides, and the delivery of oligonucleotides
- Deep understanding of structure activity relationships of oligonucleotides to improve activity and stability
- Hands-on experience with MerMade, Dr. Oligo, AKTA Oligopilot oligonucleotide synthesizers
- Proficient with chromatography techniques (ion exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction chromatography, etc.) using FPLCs, HPLCs, and LC/MS.
- Strong scientific and analytical skills, ability to multitask efficiently, prioritize quickly and bring projects to a conclusion.
- Proven ability to conduct self-directed research, troubleshooting, and to work effectively in a dynamic environment with a diverse team
- Solid written and oral communication skills, enthusiasm, integrity, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, and attention to detail are necessary
Salary Range: $130,000 - $157,000
Our vision is to profoundly improve people’s lives by revolutionizing the delivery of RNA therapeutics. We’re utilizing our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer, and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) with the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies in order to redefine RNA therapeutics and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. We are delivering on this vision by investing in our platform, our pipeline and our people.
Our commitment to rigorous and innovative science is matched only by our passion to see patients’ lives changed. We consistently challenge ourselves to Be AVID – Agile, Visionary, Integrated and Diverse.
We are assembling a diverse team experienced in rare disease and RNA therapies. Our team members bring expertise in research, development and commercial execution. We are focused on cultivating the right team to not only grow the company, but also to reflect the communities we serve. We are dedicated to employing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce at all levels of the organization to not only ensure that different backgrounds and perspectives are being heard and acted upon, but that our employees also feel understood, accepted and valued.
10578 Science Center Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert