Senior Director, Gene Correction
- ReCode Therapeutics
- Menlo Park, California
- Start date
- Jan 18, 2023
- Science/R&D, Genetics
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Who We Are:
We are a clinical stage company powering the next wave of genetic medicine through superior delivery with our next-generation lipid nanoparticle delivery platform. Our mRNA and gene editing therapeutics have the potential to directly replace or address underlying genetic mutations in a vast range of diseases starting with primary ciliary dyskinesia and cystic fibrosis. Our selective organ targeting (SORT) LNP platform is uniquely differentiated to enable the delivery of diverse genetic payloads to tissues beyond the liver.
At ReCode, we bring a unique blend of rigor, creativity, and curiosity to our high-hurdle mission. Our team is uniquely positioned to tackle this challenge, given our extensive experience in lipid nanoparticle delivery, mRNA design and optimization, mRNA manufacturing, gene editing, and rare disease drug development. We are a high performing, highly functional organization with a culture that is caring and strives to enable every member of our team to thrive.
Summary of Position:
Recode is developing non-viral gene editing systems using proprietary SORT LNP delivery platform. We are seeking a motivated and experienced Senior Director to provide technical, operational, and strategic leadership in the preclinical development of gene editing therapies. The individual will lead a multidisciplinary team of scientists to build the internal gene editing platform for translational research and to develop innovative new therapeutics for rare diseases. The candidate will be responsible for managing and coordinating internal and external drug discovery efforts, and for partnering with other members of the leadership team to leverage ReCodes’ unique delivery platform and grow the company’s therapeutic portfolio. The candidate must have a strong molecular biologist technical expertise, in-depth conceptual and practical understanding of gene editing therapeutics engineering strategies, and an understanding of key challenges related to non-viral delivery. This role will provide a challenging and very rewarding opportunity for career development with an innovative gene engineering attitude.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of scientists and infrastructure to support preclinical discovery across a portfolio of projects in the genetic medicines space
- Contribute to preclinical strategy, vision, and operation
- Guide and lead the teams to execute on plans to deliver novel targets for drug discovery into the early-stage portfolio
- Interface with Senior Management on project requirements, status review, and key strategic decisions.
- Lead efforts to evaluate and onboard new gene editing technologies to build and expand gene editing platform
- Establish and manage key collaborations
- Responsible for establishing operating and managing resource and providing scientific guidance to scientists and research associates
- Onboarding and assess next generation sequencing based assays to determine genome wide off target mutagenesis
- Evaluate and prioritize non-viral engineering strategies and deliver complete data packages to allow for timely Go/No Go decisions
- Collaborate with SME, inside and outside the team, to evaluate the functional impact of proposed non-viral engineering strategies on CAR and TCR cell products
- Responsible for memos, technical reports, and relevant sessions of IND filing
- PhD with at least 8+ years of drug discovery experience and a minimum of 2+ years in a group leadership and management role.
- Experienced in vector engineering in both viral and non-viral systems.
- Strong knowledge and skills in gene editing technologies, ie CRISPR-Cas9, targeted integration, knock-out or knock-in, inducible system, etc..
- Deep understanding of gene regulation mechanisms at genetic, epigenetic, transcription, and translation levels.
- Should have an in-depth knowledge on DNA repair and DNA sensing pathways in human cells.
- Experienced in constructing and modifying vector backbone and regulatory elements.
- Excellent project leadership skills in driving for results and innovation; ability to execute within a matrixed organization.
- Ability to articulate scientific data and strategic messages to all partners and team member
- Clear record of skills in writing, communication, and formulation of scientific arguments
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills demonstrated in a team environment.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to identify and implement creative solutions.
- Willingness to think outside the box, be creative and ability to work in a very fast paced, ever changing environment.
- Previous experience in translational gene editing research
- Previous experience in base editors
Salary Range: *
*250-270k- Please note that for remote positions, salary may be adjusted for cost of living
- No premium cost for employees - 100% subsidized by ReCode for full-time employees
- Company 401k contribution
- 15 days of company paid holidays, including a holiday shutdown (usually the last week of the year)
- Mental health support for employees & their families
- FSA available, including a lifestyle spending account subsidized by company
- Employee discounts at hotspots
ReCode Therapeutics (www.recodetx.com) offers a competitive compensation/benefits package with a friendly, collaborative culture that values employee engagement and ongoing career development.
ReCode Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Why Behind Our Work
We imagine a world where people living with genetic diseases can fully benefit from the promise of genetic medicines. Our novel mRNA and gene correction therapeutics have the potential to make this a reality.
Therapeutic Areas of Focus
Primary ciliary dyskinesia
Certain cancers and central nervous system (CNS) diseases
Power the Next Wave of Genetic Medicine
We are one of the rare companies whose innovations are poised to fundamentally shift an entire class of medicine.
Join us as we advance our pipeline into clinical development and scale ReCode’s next-generation genetic medicines delivery platform and pipeline.
1140 O'Brien Drive
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert