Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
- Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Start date
- Jan 15, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
Nine years ago, we were staining plates by hand. Today, we've created a library of more than one billion cellular images on the basis of a radically different approach to biotech. This is a bold approach that we believe will reinvent drug discovery and development.
If you draw a line from nine years ago to today, you’ll see our trajectory and understand that Recursion is a very different kind of company. You cannot make these kinds of leaps simply by adding incubators, fluorescent microscopes, and robots to automate processes at scale. Our drug discovery strategies are map and data-driven rather than target-driven, revealing destinations you might never have considered. As a Senior Scientist at Recursion, you’ll be in a position to directly accelerate the timeline of getting drugs into the hands of patients who need them.
The Impact You’ll Make
Recursion Pharmaceuticals is at the forefront of reimagining drug discovery through the integration of automated cell biology, high-dimensional and diverse data sets, and sophisticated analytics. We are seeking a Senior Scientist in Medicinal Chemistry to support and advance Recursion’s discovery projects. As a Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemist you will help build and support cross-functional drug discovery teams. In this role, you will:
- Build - In partnership with biologists, data scientists and others you will build projects across therapeutic models designed to translate phenotypic screening hits to preclinical assets with quality and speed.
- Contribute - You will contribute to a cross-functional team leading medicinal chemistry efforts, as part of a nimble, highly efficient chemistry team
- Collaborate - Work in a cross-functional matrix organization with biologists, chemists, data scientists, and engineers with a passion for drug discovery.
- Communicate - Independently prepare impactful presentations for senior leaders and partners to allow for informed data-based decision making.
- Achieve - Understand the critical path and provide high-quality results.
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to a Principal Scientist, as a Senior Scientist, you will be a key contributor within the discovery organization partnering with others to build and advance the portfolio of preclinical small molecule NCE and repurposed assets. You will use your depth and breadth of understanding of medicinal chemistry to help build efficient operating plans to capitalize on Recursion’s AI-enabled high throughput phenotypic screening platform. You will work in a highly matrixed organization to advance molecules from hit identification to lead series and ultimately to candidate status. Your skills will be of high value as you work cross functionally internally, with external stakeholders and contract chemistry FTEs.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in synthetic organic/medicinal chemistry with 5+ years drug discovery experience OR MS with 8+ years drug discovery experience within the biotech or pharma industries
- Experience leading the advancements of chemical series from hit to lead and candidate status
- Strong record of productivity as demonstrated by publications or patents
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry (experience working with CROs a plus)
- An understanding of medicinal chemistry drug design principles, research operating plans, DMPK and IVIVC
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today.
Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah with offices in Toronto, Montreal and Milpitas, California. We're working to solve some of the most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come do the most impactful work of your career at a company that prioritizes belonging, collaboration and career development.
41 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert