Research Associate I
- Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
- Frederick, MD
- Start date
- Jan 9, 2023
- Regulatory, Research/Documentation, Science/R&D, Research
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
Research Associate I
Job ID: req2921
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Division: Applied & Development Research Program
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it's the FNL way.
The AIDS Monitoring Laboratory (AML) located within the Clinical Services Program, is a state-of-the-art clinical research laboratory, which specializes in basic immunology and flow cytometry. The primary mission of the AML is to perform sequential studies of immune function in patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) disease or other emerging or re-emerging infectious diseases associated with immunologic dysfunction.
- Processing blood and body fluids from patients with HIV disease or other emerging/ re-emerging infectious diseases
- Immunophenotypic analysis of patient blood specimens
- Operation of a BD Fortessa flow cytometer
- Performing basic data analysis
- Performing QC and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies
- Performing cell sorting on a Sony LE-MA900
- Documenting procedures and results
- All work will be performed under Biosafety Level-2* conditions.
- Work may involve standing, walking, rapid mental/muscular coordination, good vision, working alone or closely with others
- The use of personal protective equipment and strict adherence to safety protocols will be required
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university (according to CHEA). (Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education). Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience
- The ability to work independently as well a part of a laboratory team
- The ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Prefer knowledge of flow cytometry but not required
- Prefer cell sorting experience
- Prefer good working knowledge of Windows based computer operating systems
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious
material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
- This position is subject to working with or have the potential for exposure to laser
emissions, requiring medical clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
A rewarding career with global impact
Whether you’re an expert in your field or just starting out, we have a career opportunity for you. We’re always looking for people to join us in fulfilling the mission of the Frederick National Laboratory: discovery, innovation, and success in the biomedical sciences.
Our team of 2,400+ scientists, technicians, administrators, and support staff work at the forefront of basic, translational, and preclinical science, with a focus on cancer, AIDS, and other infectious diseases.
We collaborate with colleagues across the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and others throughout the National Institutes of Health. We also engage with extramural investigators in academia, government and industry.
Your path to joining our team begins with the desire to work for the only national laboratory dedicated to biomedical research. Our employees share a common desire to help make a difference in cancer research and public health concerns. As you search for a career that fits your education, skills, and abilities, explore the core values that guide us and emphasize work-life balance.
Discover why joining the Frederick National Laboratory team could be the most important career step you take
8560 Progress Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert