Associate Scientist, Analytical Operations
United States - California - Oceanside
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences is continuing to hire for all open roles. Our interview process may be conducted virtually and some roles will be asked to temporarily work from home. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be implementing a phased approach to bringing employees back to site to ensure the health and safety of our teams.For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Gilead Sciences is currently seeking an Associate Scientist in our Analytical Operations group at our Oceanside facility in Southern California.Associate Scientist, Analytical OperationsRole and Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- The candidate will contribute to the developing and validating potency assays, confirming the potency final drug substance and drug product, participating in structure activity relationship work as part of a team to characterize the molecule, degradation pathways and define critical quality attributes in a phase appropriate context. The candidate will also participate in process development and compatibility studies, as required.
- Works with Gilead internal researchers in the identification and selection of robust potency assays and optimization efforts for GMP applications. Identifies and deploys orthogonal characterization methods to aid in identifying critical quality attributes. Responsible for production and maintenance of all critical custom reagents and cell lines used in potency assays.
- The applicant should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments. Ability to proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. This is a highly collaborative environment where willingness and ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals across various project teams is essential.
- Candidates should be self-motivated and organized, familiar with the relevant literature, and enjoy scientific investigation and thinking, proactively identify issues and develop solutions in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. The applicant is also expected to exercise considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments, and should be an effective communicator of ideas, project goals, and results to team members across cross-functional roles/departments.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Independently plans and executes assigned experiments that support non-routine development activities and project goals.
- Applies advanced level of understanding project goals and methods.
- Collaborates with supervisory personnel to develop methods.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
- Acts as a resource for other employees within the department.
- Maintains familiarity with scientific literature and applies appropriately to research projects.
- Strong verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills are required.
- Develops skills in data analysis and ability to evaluate quality of data.
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills.
- May create API or drug product specifications.
- Operates scientific equipment, selects appropriate methods and techniques to perform experiments, and prepare related reports. Plan and organize details of experiments with guidance.
- BA or BS degree + 8 years of experience in Chemistry or Biology
- MS degree + 6 years of experience in Chemistry or Biology
- Knowledge of GMP, GLP or GxP is highly preferred.
- Good communication skills (both verbal and technical) and interpersonal skills are required. Must be able to work in highly flexible and effective teams.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Demonstrates ability to recognize anomalous and inconsistent results and interpret experimental outcomes. Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and research strategy.
If this is not the right move for you now but remain interested in a career at Gilead Sciences please connect with us via our talent community: https://gilead.avature.net/GileadAbout Gilead:
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, and Singapore employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.