Title: EHS Manager
Manager: Director, EHS
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an onsite Environmental, Health & Safety Professional to join our team in Brisbane, CA. Under the general direction of the EHS Director, this role will have operational responsibility for EHS support to labs, facilities and manufacturing and shall assist with planning, establishing, implementing, and maintaining a variety of occupational health, safety, and environmental programs and initiatives to assure the highest health and safety standards for employees. This role assists Sangamo to comply with applicable federal, state, and local health, safety, and environmental laws, regulations, and standards. Serve as a role model in establishing safe working practices and promoting safety culture in the workplace.
- Implement EHS programs and monitor activities for compliance with company policies and regulatory requirements (Cal/OSHA, EPA, RCRA, DOT).
- Manage hazwaste program including oversight of hazwaste management, coordinate biowaste activities with Facilities, vendor and providing guidance to users, operations team, vendors.
- Manage all aspects of lab safety for research and technical operation laboratories. Implement biosafety, chemical safety, ergonomics and emergency response initiatives.
- Conduct monthly inspections of laboratory, manufacturing and administrative areas, formal and informal audits and daily walk-throughs.
- Manage LOTO, electrical safety and contractor safety programs for manufacturing plant and non-manufacturing areas, coordinate training, onboarding and offboarding contractors.
- Manage site chemical inventory.
- Assist in incident reports, investigation of all work-related accidents, injuries and near-miss, maintain OSHA log.
- Report deficiencies and oversee corrective actions in accordance with Sangamo EHS policy.
- Manage and coordinate emergency response plan for the site. Conduct annual evacuation drills in coordination with stakeholders
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- BS or MS in EHS related field or equivalent experience and qualification.
- 5+ years EHS experience, with 2+ years’ Biotech or Pharma Manufacturing experience in manufacturing processes and operation. Level will be determined by skill, experience, and education.
- Knowledge of GMP and GLP is required.
- Experience in laboratory safety, biosafety, chemical safety and occupational safety.
- Experience managing hazwaste and biowaste operation.
- Ability to work cross-functionally, especially with Facilities, Research and Manufacturing teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and influencing skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft suite, PowerPoint, PowerBi and MSDS Online.
- Proficient in EHS database.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Work productively with others at various technical and management levels.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state and local regulations and have a passion to develop professionally through learning and training
- Be able to wear different types of respiratory protection as needed and assist in air quality monitoring and risk assessment of decontamination process
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the role; standing, kneeling, ability to lift, move, and pull 25 pounds in a lab/manufacturing environment with exposure to potential chemicals/biohazardous agents etc
- OSHA 40 hour hazwoper certification
- Follow Sangamo policies and protocols.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine & booster, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters:
The anticipated salary range is for candidates who will work in our Brisbane or Point Richmond, CA offices. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include, but are not limited to, the type and length of experience with the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. This salary range may not apply to remote positions that work in other states.
Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.