AbbVie's Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC goal is to develop world class genetics and genomics research focused on finding the right therapeutic targets and helping AbbVie scientists better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior and response to our drugs in clinical trials across all therapeutic areas. We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Senior Scientist I in Cell and Molecular Biology, with experience in handling human iPSc culture and differentiation to support iPSc-based disease modeling and drug testing capabilities.
This position will aid the implementation of patient-derived iPSc-based models, and will help develop innovative solutions in discovery and validation of new therapeutic targets through the implementation and utilization of cutting-edge science and state-of-the-art equipment to address gene function and causal variants. Applicants should have broad laboratory research experience in genomics, cellular and molecular biology techniques. Strong communication and teamwork skills are essential as the candidate is expected to operate in a highly paced and multi-disciplined environment. The candidate must be able to manage multiple research projects.
A background in cell biology, iPSc culture and a broad skill set in molecular biology is required. Experience in iPSc differentiation to various cell types, 3D differentiation and organoid formation, and large-scale iPSc culture is highly desired.
- Implement protocols for robust iPSc reprogramming and directed differentiation of patient-derived iPSc to model a variety of cell types and diseases.
- Implement functional assays on the cell level in iPSc-based models.
- Enable iPSC disease models by reprogramming patient primary cells or introducing disease-driver mutations using for example CRISPR-Cas9 technology.
- Implement 3D differentiation protocols and large scale iPSc culture using bioreactors and automation.
- Contribute to writing of publications, and present results at internal scientific meetings.
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
- Implement creative/innovative cell-based assays to discover new targets and innovative application of engineered cells to enhance internal capabilities.
Position will be hired based on level of education and experience.
- PhD in the field of molecular and/or cellular biology.
- 0-2+ years of postdoctoral training in academia or industry.
- Proficiency working with diverse primary and modified cell lines exposed to different stressors.
- Skilled in molecular/cellular techniques, for example: iPSc reprogramming, iPSc CRISPR editing, iPSc differentiation, 3D differentiation, cell sorting, cell transfection and transduction, Western blot, qRT-PCR, gel shift, ELISA, lentivirus.
- Publication record supporting required basic qualifications, preferentially as first author in peer reviewed journals.
- Proficiency in cellular and genomic analyses including functional evaluation of coding and noncoding DNA sequences.
- Experience using gene editing tools (CRISPR, TALEN, or ZFN).
- Excellent communication and project management skills.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, and integrity.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence”, and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.