At AbbVie, our vision is to be recognized as a biopharmaceutical company delivering a consistent stream of innovative medicines that solve serious health issues and have a remarkable impact on people’s lives. To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Experiential S&T Post-Doc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we provide a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum to help participants understand how everything fits together and is put into practice. It also provides them with a chance to establish working relationships with some of the world’s most respected scientists and leaders in the industry.
During this year long tenure, the student will develop a strong scientific premise to explore important problems or critical barriers to progress in an area of emerging process science. If the aims of the project are achieved, scientific knowledge, technical capability, and/or clinical practice can be demonstratively improved. The successful completion of this program will result in a publication(s) in a highly recognized scientific journal.
The postdoc will join the team to build a systematic yet practical approach to identify and characterize protein properties that are pertinent to downstream purification unit operations, such as chromatography separation and ultrafiltration/diafiltration.
Protein properties such as size, viscosity, diffusivity, osmotic pressure, pKa and net charges are key factors to be understood and characterized during process development. These properties are also often used a priori in process modeling to provide a first principle basis and to reduce the number of fitting parameters. At AbbVie, we make stride to develop protein purification process models for chromatographic separations and membrane filtrations. These models are mechanistic and reflects the protein behavior determined by their properties under the specific local environment. The mathematical descriptions and transport models to protein purification steps are well established in literature. However, characterization of protein properties under process conditions and validation of models that use them as model input have received less attention.
- Design and execute lab experiments including column packing, resin and column evaluation, small and prep-scale protein chromatography, ultrafiltration/diafiltration
- Utilize existing or develop novel techniques to collect product and process related data
- Demonstrate the ability to research and develop analytical techniques/procedures to determine protein properties such as size, viscosity, diffusivity, osmotic pressure, pKa and net charges
- Adapt and utilize TECAN high-throughput technologies in protein property characterization
- Use commercial simulation software and/or scientific programming languages to build in-silico models that can be used for describing experimental data
- Demonstrate ability to develop fundamental understanding of the linkage between protein properties under process conditions and the outcome of the corresponding unit operations. Demonstrate the ability to implement the understanding in in-silico models
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Being an effective writer and communicator of research materials
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve any key issues by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Generate new research strategies to effectively address the Postdoc project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Successful completion and defense of a PhD degree in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering OR 1-3 years Postdoc experience with relevant fields from an accredited and nationally ranked University.
- Minimum graduate school GPA 3.0/4.0; 3.5 preferred
- Extensive experience in Biophytics and biochemical technologies, with focus on protein characterization, purification, biochemistry and molecular biology techniques
- Demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Demonstrate the ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Record of publication in prestigious journal (s).
- Work authorization in the U.S.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Prior research experience in protein purification via chromatographic methods is higher preferred
- Advanced education and expertise in transport phenomena, colloid and interface science and separations processes are desired
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. If you would like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please email CorpJat_ABV@abbvie.com.