Element Biosciences is a multi-disciplinary startup focused on innovating genetic analysis tools for the research and clinical markets. The Company's technology will broaden the end user experience through improved data quality and simplified workflows to benefit discoveries and diagnosis in healthcare.
We are passionate about our mission to develop high performing products to study genomics with unprecedented flexibility and quality that enable researchers to better understand biology for the improvement of global health. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are looking for individuals who are curious, love to learn and want to make an impact on some cutting edge projects for our Summer 2023 Internships. Our program has multiple elements (no pun intended) to ensure that you have a well-rounded summer from fun activities such as the Intern vs. Supervisors Olympics to soft-skills classes to help identify your strengths and work on areas of development, to an Executive Series where you get to meet our Leadership team and ask them questions about their careers, about the product or anything else which interests you. And, finally, you get to work on a project which will actually be rolled into the product roadmap.
As a Software Test Engineer Intern on Software Product Design team, you will gain valuable hands-on experience working with cloud and device software, hardware, and embedded systems, as well as having the opportunity to collaborate and work together with various stakeholders and engineers. The Software Product Design team’s goal is to define and guide seamless end-user experiences. You will help test (and help iterate the design of) a complete sequencing solution with the necessary software interfaces to the chemistry, hardware, manufacturing, and downstream analysis systems.
This position is located at our San Diego headquarters and will be on-site!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work as part of a team to design, implement, integrate, and test the software that enables the development and use of Element’s sequencing instrumentation.
- Work with the software systems engineers and stakeholders to test hardware, biochemistry, instrument, cloud, and analysis interfaces and specifications.
- Take ownership of learning and advocating for the end-user experience, working to identify pain points, and influencing product design to address them.
- Automate test cases as software and interfaces mature.
- Perform manual test cases, serving to test and confirm software and systems integration, as well as validating user needs and touch points.
- Assist in troubleshooting problems during development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Rising Senior or new grad with a degree in Bioengineering (Device), Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar.
- Experience working on/with integrated software and hardware devices.
- Experience writing and/or testing to software specifications.
- Knowledge of genomics and next-generation sequencing is required.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.