Intern - Clinical Data Science
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.Job Description
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.Intern - Clinical Data Science
As a Gilead intern you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company's mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative data and machine learning solutions to improve clinical operations. Create experiments and prototype implementations of new learning algorithms and prediction techniques
Collaborate with scientists, engineers, product managers and business stakeholders to design and implement software solutions
Use machine learning best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Authorized to work in the United States without Sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor's/Masters/MBA/PhD program at an accredited US based university or college
- Must be a Rising Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in undergrad or a Graduate or Doctoral Student
- Must be enrolled full-time in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between May and August
- Must be able to relocate if necessary and work at the designated site for the duration of the internship
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and first booster shot
- Graduate studies in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, undergraduate studies in Computer Science and relevant graduate studies in the life sciences with a focus on AI/ML techniques, or undergraduate studies in Computer Science and equivalent work history. Candidates with graduate studies in Computer Science and biological sciences or equivalent work history will be highly competitive.
- Expertise in end-to-end data science techniques
- Proficient in machine learning, information retrieval, and applied statistics
- Ability to do exploratory analysis on large volumes of data and find key descriptive and inferential properties
- Strong fundamentals in statistic and probability theory
- Strong background in mathematical modeling, problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Develop effective data science solutions by applying ML/AI (deep learning, NLP, Causal inference methods) to deliver business value
- Strong Python (2+ years) programming skills, with an ability to manipulate large and sophisticated datasets using distributed computing technologies (e.g., Apache Spark)
- Knowledge of cloud services (e.g. AWS) and developing data science projects
- Experience building Machine Learning models and libraries like Scikit-learn, Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch, FastText, etc
- Software development methodologies and tools (unit tests, code reviews, Git)
- Self-motivated, fast learner, excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
- PhD student in Computer Science
- Understanding and application of best practices in machine learning, software engineering, and/or production deployment of ML services
- Track record of contributing to open-source projects
- Understanding of modern ML Architectures, Platforms, and backend systems
- Mentality of commit early and often, metrics before models, and shipping high quality production code
- Extensive experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
- Experienced with engineering and architecting data lakes, data warehouses, and big data storage and compute platforms on AWS. In addition, experienced with modern high - performance columnar storage formats such as Apache Parquet and Optimized Row Columnar (ORC). Familiarity with NoSQL, experience with ETL framework like Airflow
- Experienced with development tools and data cataloging, search, analysis, visualization, and reporting tools such as Python, SAS, Tableau, Power BI, and various Amazon Web Services tools (e.x. S3, Glacier, RDS, Redshift, EC2, Athena, EMR, Glue, Elasticsearch, Lambda, Textract, Kendra, SageMaker)
- Experienced with building and modeling a data sciences platform that address technology, process, and people. This includes understanding and building a data layer for data capture, ingestion, ETL, and data set management, analysis layer for analytics, compute, and batch processing, end user spaces for search, visualization, interactive tools, and self-service.
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.