Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
As a Computational Biologist, Assay Development at Freenome, you will be critical to the development of early, noninvasive tests for cancer detection. With a strong background in bioinformatics and statistics, you will develop, write, and execute analysis plans and reports for the development and characterization of Freenome’s in vitro diagnostic devices and regulatory filings. You will work closely and cross-functionally with many teams, including Regulatory and Quality, Molecular Research and Development, Laboratory Operations, Biostatistics, Computational Science, and Engineering to enable the successful development of multiple molecular assays as part of Freenome’s diagnostic products
- Use your quantitative skills to develop computational methods and interpret complex experimental results in order to optimize and validate innovative technology for sample collection, preparation, and detection.
- Develop and execute appropriate experimental design and analysis plans for Verification and Validation studies, closely partnering with Biostatistics, Development, and Pre-Analytics teams.
- Work closely with molecular and computational research teams developing Freenome’s IVD products for blood-based molecular assays involving cell-free DNA, RNA, and protein.
- Impact patient lives through the development and launch of high quality cancer screening technologies.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Post-graduate degree (MS or PhD) in statistics, computational biology, bioinformatics, cancer biology, or related quantitative field.
- At least 2 years of industry experience; previous work in the development of diagnostic devices in a regulated environment (PMA, 510(k), CE-IVD) is a plus.
- Experience in experimental design and analysis of high-throughput, quantitative technologies in genomics, epigenomics, proteomics, or transcriptomics (e.g. Hi-C, ATAC-seq, RNA-seq, MS).
- Familiarity with and ability to select and leverage bioinformatics tools for the above molecular assays.
- Experience in applied statistics, such as in hypothesis testing, linear modeling, and goodness-of-fit testing.
- Expertise in data analysis and visualization using Python statistical packages (Numpy, Matplotlib, Pandas), R (tidyverse), or equivalent, under version control.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate to scientific and broader audiences, with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work on a cross-functional team in our highly collaborative environment, working with both computational and experimental scientists.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.
#LI-Remote, #LI-Onsite, #LI-Hybrid