Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
Freenome is hiring a Systems Integration Engineer to participate in a cross-functional team building the next generation of Freenome’s engineering platform to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work in a team of world-class Scientists and Engineers focused on creating Freenome’s IVD Molecular Assay Systems.
If you are passionate about building a robust state of the art molecular assay platform while combating cancer, have a high sense of ownership, and take pride in being a servant-leader managing a growing team while continuing to make an individual impact, we would love to speak with you!
As part of a dynamic, flexible company you will be adapting to rapid technological progress and change, and help the team building the platform do the same.
- Contribute in Freenome’s core team activities related to assay system integration, including assay optimization, fluidics, process validation; and troubleshooting and failure analysis
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Project Management, Biology R&D, Consumables R&D, Software, Technical Support, Service, and other functions to deliver a new highly spatially multiplexed instrumentation platform that meets the needs of Freenome product portfolio.
- Execute Systems Integration related projects ensuring consistency with project critical path timelines
- Apply sophisticated analytical problem solving skills to reagent and system integration issues to identify critical performance factors for assay development
- Hands-on design and execution of complex test methods to assess hardware and system performance per Design Input Requirements
- Apply broad scientific, technical or professional concepts in accordance with area(s) objectives. Assess results for applicability, validity, and conformance to Product Requirements. Write and manage requirements as part of Project Team. Create and maintain design documentation in Design History Files
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree with 2+ years of relevant work experience OR Doctoral degree
- Education or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biomedical Engineering, etc.
- Previous experience as a hands-on engineer, scientist, or product developer (e.g. System Integration Scientist / Engineer, System Development Scientist / Engineer, or related occupation).
- Strong leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Experience with developing and integrating complex instrumentation systems which incorporate optical, mechanical, thermal, and firmware components.
- Data analysis expertise and experience with various data analysis software packages
- Well-developed mathematical and statistical analysis skills. (i.e., JMP, R, DOE)
- Knowledge of SQL, Python, R or other programming languages highly desired
- Knowledge of a broad range of principles of biology, chemistry and physics, such as spectroscopic techniques, organic chemistry, electromagnetic theory, and thermodynamics.
- Strong integration analytical, process validation and troubleshooting skills to understand system interfaces and be able to quickly analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve system interoperability problems.
- Working knowledge of design of experiments, interpretation of test results, failure investigation and root cause failure analysis.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.