Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests for early and accurate disease detection using our combined multi-omics and machine learning platform. As a Senior / Research Associate in Proteomics, you will contribute to the design and execution of experiments, manually or on robotic platforms, that will further the performance of Freenome’s assays. You will work closely with scientists and computational biologists to rapidly iterate on improvements to the core analytical methods, to evaluate new technologies that can enhance our end-to-end test performance, and to implement efficient workflows to increase the throughput of both experimental and clinical workflows.
- Prototype new mass-spec based proteomics and peptidomics workflows, and apply them to clinical cohorts.
- Optimize the performance of existing assays for scalability through the use of high-throughput and automation instrumentation.
- Participate in the development of experimental plans, including deriving biological insights, troubleshooting methods, and/or process improvements.
- Take detailed notes, gather high-quality data, and openly communicate on lessons learned while performing experiments.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, genetics, or a related field.
- 2+ years (Research Associate) or 4+ years (Senior Research Associate) of full-time laboratory experience in the life sciences (industry and/or academia).
- Extensive hands-on experience with mass-spec based sample preparation, including for proteomics, peptidomics, and/or high-throughput assays.
- Experience operating mass spectrometers, HPLCs, and familiarity with data quality assessment.
- Familiarity with other protein biochemistry techniques such as ELISAs, western blotting, fluorometric assays, flow cytometry, etc.
- Data analysis experience, with ability to critically evaluate results
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
- Valuable supplementary experiences include:
- Experience with coding in R or python for data analyses and visualization
- Experience with multiplexed immunoassay platforms (e.g., Luminex, MSD)
- Enrichment of specific post-translational modifications
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.