Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for a Research Associate IV/Scientist I to join our growing South San Francisco team!
Vaxart R&D is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative mid-level Research Associate or a junior-level Scientist, depending on experience, to support our efforts in the discovery and development of oral-based vaccines and therapies against infectious diseases and cancer. This individual is expected to be responsible for performing fundamental immunological assays to support pre-clinical research and clinical trials, including work with primary human cells and cell lines, tissue/serum from animal models, in vitro assays, protein biochemistry, and molecular cloning.
The role requires full involvement in designing and conducting hands-on laboratory research and communicating those results to execute data-driven project decisions. A successful candidate is expected to serve as a research member on cross-functional immunology and virology project teams with the goal of exploring and developing Vaxart’s pipeline goals.
- Conducts various cell-based and biochemical assays including ELISA, ELISpot, flow cytometry (surface and intracellular staining), Meso Scale Discovery Electrochemiluminescence (MSD), and pseudo-virus-based assays.
- Hands-on experience with tissue cell culture and sterile technique. Prior experience handling primary human biological specimens including processed tissue and PBMC’s is desirable.
- Strong laboratory-based skills in protein biochemistry, molecular cloning, and RT-qPCR.
- Ability to leverage data and insight from multiple sources, ranging from basic biology experimentation through pre-clinical and patient clinical samples.
- Expands and improves our capabilities of mucosal immune platforms. Design and engineering of novel/improved immunization modalities and research assays.
- Maintains accurate records of all data and procedures.
- Prepares and presents project updates as well as new innovative early-stage research ideas to diverse audiences at Vaxart including senior research leadership.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Molecular and/or Cell Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology, or relevant discipline. 2+ years of research experience in an academic or industry setting.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new techniques, independently design experiments, and collect, analyze, interpret and present data.
- Experience conceptualizing, developing, and optimizing laboratory protocols.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and ability to perform scientific data analysis using dedicated software such as Excel, GraphPad Prism, or others.
- Detail-oriented and self-directed individual (soliciting help when needed), who is excited about tackling complex scientific challenges in a team-based setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to enable a friendly, collaborative environment.
- Ability to conduct work on-site at our laboratory in South San Francisco.
- Job title will be determined based on education level and laboratory experience.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with plaque assays, viral vectors, and viral production is desirable.
- Basic knowledge about working with mice or other animal models.
Vaxart has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy which requires our employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment. Vaxart will make reasonable accommodations for valid exemptions based on disability, medical, or religious reasons. Vaxart prioritizes sound science and available facts to best ensure the ongoing safety of our employees and the community.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a robust health plan, bonus program, stock options, 401K with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work-life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, and layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.
NOTICE TO RECRUITERS AND STAFFING AGENCIES: Vaxart, Inc. has an internal recruiting department. Vaxart may supplement that internal capability from time to time with assistance from temporary staffing agencies, placement services, and professional recruiters ("Agency"). Agencies are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact Vaxart employees directly to present candidates – Vaxart’s recruiting team or other authorized Vaxart personnel must present ALL candidates to hiring managers.
To protect the interests of all parties, Vaxart will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Vaxart, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Vaxart mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Vaxart employees, or to Vaxart's resume database will be considered Vaxart property. Vaxart will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Vaxart will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
The Agency must obtain advance written approval from Vaxart's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Vaxart will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place.
Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by an officer of Vaxart or their designee. No other Vaxart employee is authorized to bind Vaxart to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies. Vaxart hereby specifically rejects, and denies any liability under, any agreement purporting to be accepted based on negative consent, negotiation with a candidate, performance, or any means other than the signature of a Vaxart officer.